Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Smile My new (secondhand) A700

Hi all,

My new Sony A700 arrived and I took it out to the river near our place:

I'm still getting used to all of the controls, it has more buttons and menus than my A100, but its high ISO performance, shutter speed and responsiveness are very impressive. As is the gorgeous LCD screen.

Cheers,

JJ

Lightbulb let the sunset ...

Jonathan ... I took your first image, because I felt the highlights were a little to intense and you were losing definition in many areas, especially in that that upper sky ... and then I boosted the shadows a bit, to bring out the greenery and upped the saturation about 10 points, to render this:

Name:  Sunset-Trees-adj.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  457.3 KB

Use of an ND-filter might have been somewhat effective also. Shooting source light is always a challenge, but I would say you have a excellent eye, my friend.

Tell me what you think ... easier on the eyes?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-16-2008 at 11:17 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hi Don,

Yes - I like it, I think that is an improvement. I was pretty happy with the feel of the second photo. The light was great at that time of night.

JJ

Do you have Adobe Photoshop? Try pushing the saturation in these sunsets a little ... just a little. You may like it ... more?
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hi Don,

Yes, I have Photoshop. I think with those photos the Saturation was around +10 for both. (Processed from the cRAW) I change my mind about how saturated to make my sunsets, trying to make them exciting without being over the top.

JJ

I hear ya ... it's the artistic aspect of light ... even in the real darkroom ... light filters and exposure ...

flickr & Sdi