Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Side-by-sides"

Lightbulb "Side-by-sides"

Since I recently acquired some new glass for the SONY ... I figured it might be a good idea to post some "side-by-sides" ... (lenses set at the same settings) to kind of show what you might expect from the one you might choose to use. It is really just a rough comparison, but it is always kind of nice to know what can deliver some sharpness .. and which one might need ... help?

Basically, most of my interest is in using the TAMRON lenses for this ... but if someone might want to see the couple of Minolta/SONY primes or the Tokina AF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 (etc) tossed in, I am sure I can do that.

This may take a couple of days ... and I was wondering, right now, if anyone wanted to see something in particular, that may be on my gear list (click on link below).
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2008 at 05:30 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hey Don,

How about the Sigma 10-20mm versus the KM 17-35mm? (APS-C wide versus FF wide)
    Preferably outdoor shots...

My interest here is that the 10-20mm is probably next on my list of lenses to get. Either that or a 70-200mm f2.8

Cheers,

JJ

Well, other than my film cameras, I don't have a FF to place the 17-35mm on.

Therefore, the only common range between the two would be 17-20mm.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

True

Maybe that comparison will have to wait until the A900. Although comparison shots in that shared range might be interesting anyway.

Cheers,

JJ

What I can do is show the difference between the 17-35mm f/2.8-4 Di and the 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II, just in case someone is pining over the difference.

Believe me, when I tell you that the 17-50mm f/2.8 Di-II has iyt all over the 10-20mm f/4-5.6 at the 17-20mm. I did this test earlier in the year ... and close up ... it wasn't even close. LOL

flickr & Sdi

Okay, so my new TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro shows up on my doorstep, this afternon. What does Don do? He immediately takes out the A700 ... sits back in his office chair and fires off a few shots, checking for proper operation ... seems fine. Then he points and locks at 50mm f/2.8 on his target ... rattles off another shot.

Then he shuts off the camera, unmounts the new lens and puts on the trusty TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) in its place, zooms out to 50mm ... ensures he's at f/2.8 and click! Another one for the memory card, which quickly gets extracted and its two fresh, side-by-side images downloaded into Photoshop, for examination.

Five seconds later, amidst cursing and swearing ... the 28-75 is "soft", just like the Canon-mount Don bought in March 2006 was.(Slapping hand to face and dragging it down, slowly, in frustration).

So, it is off to the repair shop, tomorrow, for the obligatory focal "tweak", which seems to be the watch-word these days, when you buy new glass. OTB lenses are really starting to bother me. More and more I am hearing the cry of Quality Control gone awry!

I'm not sure what standard they are using for the 17-50mm factory line, but it is fantastic, in my opinion. Of the two 17-50s (Canon and SONY) that I have personally bought and used, both have been "spot on." If only all lenses were this sweet, eh?

Tomorrow ... if they haven't screwed up the shipping, the big gun ... the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD Super Zoom arrives ... and gets the drill. The SIGMA 10-20mm f/4-5.6 DC EX is the only lens I have let slide, after I found it soft. I'll turn it in (before the year is up) when the TAMRON SP AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Ultra-wide is released (I hope) to replace it.

I tell you, it is getting to be like real work preparing for this new Full Frame camera.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2008 at 03:30 PM.

flickr & Sdi

can't wait to see the big gun!

sorry to hear you keep getting crappy lenses, where are you ordering these from? b&h? adorama? do you get them "tweaked" for free?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I ordered from B&H ... who have nothing to do with the manufacturer's QC. They are just the unfortunate distributor ... and it is whatever is in the box.

Yes, I get my lenses done under the TAMRON 6-year mfr warranty, at United Camera & Binocular Repair, in Bensenville, which is a Chicago-based camera, digital camera, and video equipment repair facility. They are every major manufacturer's authorized choice for all types of repairs. Individuals, manufacturers, and other camera and equipment dealers from across the United States trust United with the repairs they need.

They repair the following brands:

* Kodak
    * Fuji
    * Konica Minolta
    * Sony
    * Casio
    * HP
    * Epson Digital Projector
    * PENTAX
    * Canon
    * Nikon
    * Tamron
    * Promaster
    * Olympus
    * Sigma

Their number is: (866) 833-3268

Turn around is about three - five weeks, unfortunately. It pays to get it in early. Sometimes, you get it back quick. Just depends on who's in front of you, in the queue.

C'mon and join the fun ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2008 at 04:21 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don I guess I lucked out with my Tamaron 70-300. Or I don't know any better. But then again I think you would have said something about my shots. I think I will have all my lenses sent to you to test drive.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Nah, I'm no hero ... but, I want things to work as they should. The 28-75mm f/2.8 is supposed to be one of the sharpest lenses TAMRON has ever produced in its class. Even the 17-50 should be "on par" with it, not better. That is why I find this so troubling. I have only purchased two, brand new, and OTB ... they are soft.

Like I said, I can get it tweaked ... but, it takes time. I don't buy lenses to have them sit in some repair shop ... but, then again, maybe I do, come to think of it.

My own TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 (non-Di) LD does a pretty good job, too. But then again, I did not have the same expectation level for it, either. The f/2.8's are supposed to be an improved piece of glass over the f/4+ stuff. It is the whole reason you reach in your wallet and purchase them.

When I put the 28-75 on the A900 "Flagship" and do a comparison ... it better be poppin' good. I can't have a defective lens for that. The A900 simply will not forgive any flaw.

Checking your own glass really is not all that hard, doing side-by-sides, making sure you set each lens to identical (or close enough) settings. Any aperture setting will change almost every aspect of the shot, so they must be the same, otherwise you do not get results that mean much. If you only have ONE lens ... then you download the targets from the internet and shoot a few and see what comes up. Back focus, front focus ... god forbid ... astigmatism (throw it out). LOL

EDIT
    : It looks like front focus is the problem, after some serious review. It is in the shop, as I type
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-16-2008 at 03:14 PM.

flickr & Sdi