Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My new Tamron 70-300...wondering if it's not showing me love

So I recently purchased my new Tamron 70-300mm di and not sure it's showing me love. Obviously being new to photog it could be operator error but I've seen some crisp photos from a few of you of animals and they're pretty close.

Anyhow I'm aware of the multiple factors concerning the use of the lens, especially distance when viewing others pics.

The day outdoor pics are after 2 mile run in 90 degree heat so they're pretty hurried and on auto just to test the lens.

I've seen other moon shots with the Tamron 70-300mm and it's 10 times closer. It seems that it'll get real close and it'll take a while trying to focus on it then it pulls back.

At 300

This little guy was pretty close to me and this is what I got at 300.

Any suggestions or is this typical? Again you have no way of knowing how far I am to the objects but the duck? I was pretty close. Seems like with some objects it'll hold back and with the zoom across the water to the guy in the white shirt it'll get in there.
    Last edited by Scribblah; 07-15-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: none at all.
    Shooting with a Sony a300
    Sony 18-70mm
    Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD

Does the a300 have "spot focus" on it, I do not recall. If so, give that a try ... and zero in on your subject.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yes it does. Hmm I'll give it a whirl tonight and see what happens. Thank you.
    Sony 18-70mm

For clarification though, spot will only help on a moon type shot where it try's to focus closer but because it's brightness it won't. That's where spot comes in. Because, I'm still perplexed at how close I can be to the duck and yet be so far away.
    Sony 18-70mm

It's a magnification ratio ... easilier to explain when using the lens. You want to really get screwy, try looking through a 18-200 or a 28-300 and focus on close and distant objects. LOL ... it'll drive ya nuts.

Close-up, just the focus adjustment (on the 18-200) can bring you to a 135mm lens ... and far away ... all the way to a 200mm focal length. The zoom is nonestly better used for framing the shot, than to precisely use the focal length to determine it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-15-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don I pulled out the a300 and followed your suggestion. I think much better than the one above. Thank you.

Sony 18-70mm

Hey ... the job does not pay much ... but, you are welcome. Glad I could help and go have some fun with that son-of-a-gun!

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Scribblah View Post
    Don I pulled out the a300 and followed your suggestion. I think much better than the one above. Thank you.

If you hadn't posted it, I would have mistaken it for my picture!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

dr4gon.... lol hmmmm same moon perhaps. lol

Ok so maybe it is showing me some love.....here's a few I've taken with the lense.

Sony 18-70mm

Nice. I'm not sure if you nailed the focus on the last one.