Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Side-by-sides"

From what I see my plan is to be a Tamron man for years to come, with any luck. The AF 17-50 as I have said is awesome, and as far as the 70-300 you can't beat the price for what you get. like sparkie said I don't know if the lens is working up to specs or not but I like it. Look forward to hearing about the 200-500mm and some sample shots. I am torn between waiting for the 70-200 2.8, or getting the "big gun" now to play with, advice and suggestions always welcome!

The simple answer is ... BOTH, of course.

But, since you already have the 70-300 range pretty well covered (outdoors, at least) ... I'd go for the BIG outdoors or stay at home (indoors with the 70-200 f/2.8) .

Last edited by DonSchap; 07-16-2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Going big

As I justed posted in another posting on here I am going to order the 200-500mm Tamron. Looks like fun to me, I have a sunpak brand monopod that i have had and used fine with my Sony mini-cam video over the last few years. I even had it on the A700 with both the 17-50 and the 70-300 on the camera, seemed stable enough, but I am just wondering how that will work with the 200-500, should i be looking at a larger heavier monopod, advice please?

Thumbs up Many uses ...

I use a pretty sturdy Manfrotto monopod, with a tripod foot, that tucks up inside of it. It is akin to an aluminum basebat!

Name:  BG682.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  3.2 KB

So, yeah ... self-protection guaranteed. LOL

In fact, I was walking all around the zoo, yesterday, with it. I usually have it tucked on the side of my camera/lens backpack ... but, I was using it so often, I just carried it. I might just buy a clip to securely "snap" it alongside. I use a grip-ball head on it, also. Total flexibility, for just about any kind of shot. It has the quick-release on the top, so taking the camera off and on is a snap.

Name:  grip ball.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  52.4 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-18-2008 at 01:36 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi