Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    I've had mixed results from buying on ebay. Personally, there just is not enough $aving$ to make doing it worth the risk, anymore. I find that if you cultivate a relationship with a photo retailer, it goes a long way in FUTURE $AVING$. It is a rare thing going back to an ebay-seller! LOL OMG! As if ... huh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-05-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well, this weekend exposed a problem using the TAMRON 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD at full zoom. It is terribly soft ... or just plain short on infinity focus. I really don't know if TAMRON can or will adjust it ... being the ragged end of the focal spectrum.

I shot everything I could imagine and not one image turned out sharp ... in the least. Now, working closer ... it was fine. It is clear that on the APS-C sensor, the AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD is far ahead of this lens, in that kind of performance.

If you plan of shooting 300mm stuff for distance, my suggestion is to use the AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD instead. Far cheaper and sharper. It may not be as chromatically controlled as the "XR" coating is on the 28-300mm ... so depending on your use ... you've definitely got some thinking to do.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-05-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks for the tip probably be staying with it a little while longer. I think I'm gonna start looking at primes (50mm minolta RS macro, perhaps).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thanks for that report. I too am considering several options, and they are expensive options, very expensive for trial and error. All real world experiences like this are helpful.

In the elusive search for more information on the SONY A900, I found this link which has some pretty good snaps of the camera.

A900 elsewhere

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up Timely rebates

Now, how about that? I sent in the all the TAMRON lens rebate claims, last week, and today ... they're here!

Name:  TAMRON-form-letter-rebates.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  198.7 KB

Cripes, Canon took nearly six months, when I did their wonderful rebates. Turned them in on October 2005 ... got them back in March 2006. Nothing like a good customer-milking, eh?

Anyway, thank you to TAMRON for a very timely turn-around. You guys are great.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-25-2008 at 11:34 AM.

flickr & Sdi

WOW, that's ridiculously quick....I was thinking the normal 8-10 weeks. I want my 90mm so I can get my $90!!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Here's one ...

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    WOW, that's ridiculously quick....I was thinking the normal 8-10 weeks. I want my 90mm so I can get my $90!!
    I found this one, on EBAY ... for about the same as you would pay after the rebate.

Who knows, maybe you could STILL get the rebate anyway?

flickr & Sdi

I'm hesitant about buying from hong kong. Don't they get less warranty? On the auction, it says 12 months. But thanks don!
    flickr

Well, just to cap off a rather intense buying-binge on glass, I picked up a KM AF 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 "D" (yes, 8-contact) lens from B&H. I got it for about $200 off the new SONY-labeled one. It is supposedly in perfect condition ... and I am anxious to compare it against the 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3, the 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 (when it gets back from TAMRON), the 28-75mm f2.8, and a couple other surprise guests from the glass farm.

Some ask, "Don, isn't that just overlap?"

That's kind of obvious, ain't it? I'm looking to find a good combination and what glass will deliver what. I know the pricey stuff will do a decent job ... but, I'm more concerned with the mid-level shots, using glass that most people can afford ... not just dream about. For about the price of the SONY CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 ... I have been able to buy four lenses (28-300mm f/3.5-6.3, 28-75mm f/2.8, 200-500mm f/5-6.3 & this 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5).

I figure if you actually have a extra $10,000 that you can drop on glass, then you will not even be concerned with mid-range glass. But, if you are like most of us ... scraping to rub two "hundreds" together ... then getting the most out of the lesser offerings is the name of the game.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 08-26-2008 at 01:58 PM.

flickr & Sdi