Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    All in one sounds good to me! I was reading up on that lens in dyxum and aprently it's slow and noisy (I imagine it's like my 70-300 which tends to be quite noisy and hunts a lot more indoor and especially in low light). What are you initial thoughts?

I looked up that sony lens you suggested and it does sound like a good sharp indoor multipurpose/semi-vacation lens but it's just really expensive at $400+. I was thinking something under $200, but we'll see since I don't need it now, and it can't hurt to wait since new things are always hitting the market, and prices drop.

Are those iron man and xmen games in the background? Nice logi g11 keyboard!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Thumbs up The games people play ...

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Are those iron man and xmen games in the background? Nice logi g11 keyboard!
    Yeah ... something to do between shots. It's a G15 keyboard, by the way! LOL

The lens is no more noiser than the TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8, so I don't know what the heck people are talking about. I mean, really ... who cares? Give me a good focus!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-29-2008 at 07:04 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah I'm not too picky on the noise, but I can see myself in a family type wedding situation and the bride/groom/minister having to put up with the motor LOL, that's the price they'll have to pay for good pictures!

Ah yeah ok got my logitech keyboards mixed up.... I am a huge fan of their mice. I love my MX revolution, more buttons than I know what to do with!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Yeah ... well welcome to the twenty-first century, right? You want candle-light ... and dead silence ... there are towns where that is pretty commonplace. No electricity for miles!

You want solid imagery ... smile and be happy. I can just see a lens rigged ... with a silencer!

Just for a thrill, here is an actual working "tank-silencer". You know ... for Hospital-Zones ... or Wedding Chapels.

Name:  tank-silencer.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  171.8 KB

"They'll never HEAR what hit 'em!"

You have ask yourself, "What other stupid stuff can we worry about as photographers?"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-29-2008 at 07:18 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lol a silencer .... can I add a laser sight too?
    flickr

silencer???

That has to be some kind of spec. ops. pysch. warfare stuff. while the enemy is laughing and spurting while looking over the spy photos we sneak up on "won't be able to hear us with all the laughing" and are so distracted we capyure them with out firing a shot.

Serious question now

Does there seem to be a "glass panic" going on among buyers of used minolta glass? is it full frame preperation out iof control? After doing my research, online reading and listening to lot of what I see here I have been looking to buy a Minolta 50mm AF 1.7, well so has apparently eveyone else in the world So should I join the fry and pick one up now, prices seem to be averaging around $115.00 - $140.00 or would that be money better spent else where in used glass buying? opinions, comments, and suggestions most welcom!
    Sean

Wow, that much, huh? When the SONY A100 was introduced (2006), it was all of $50, if that. The weird thing is that there are more Minolta 50mm f/1.7 lenses out there than ANY other lens they produced. Guess I should have bought a few. Just like stock, eh?

flickr & Sdi

glass panic

for example, yesterday 4 of them ended on ebay within a 3 hr. time frame, i was watching/bidding on all three. Now to be fair one was a true gem all orig. package including the plastic wrap, had to unwrap lens to take pic of it. all paperwork, "passed" sticker on it, no signs of wear or use at all. it went for $148.00plus $12.00 shipping. the other 3 went for $128.00, $120.00 and $115.00 for one that was lens only no package, no lens caps, no filter.
    there is one ending today I think with a buy it now of $134.00. it just seems a bit high for me, thats a lot of cash I could use towards other glass.

I'd tend to agree; I watched several lenses, and bid on some, and watched them get bid up to very near the price of new stuff, on used equipment, and from unknown sources! And I've seen some questionable old stuff go for a lot, apparently taking advantage of auction mania. With auctions, its best (IMO) to set a budget for yourself, but it's frustrating to spend the time researching and bidding, and then watch someone with more money than brains overbid.