Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Well, I ordered a TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD from B&H Video, on Saturday night ... it arrived today, via UPS ... looking like this:

then, upon opening said packaging ... I found this:

BTW: If you look through my truck's windowshield glass ... you will barely make out the UPS truck behind it ... the golden UPS logo on the side, because I had the UPS driver "standby" as I "documented" and opened the darn thing. Happily, the lens survived this treatment. And, oh, speak of the devil ... here it is!

One thing is for certain, it'll be a while before this lens suffers from "zoom creep" ... it's good and stiff.

And this ... is my dog ... with that lens, handheld, cropped at 100%

Name:  Trak-profile.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  466.9 KB

Out of this original

Name:  DSC6061-RGB.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  319.8 KB
    EXIF: A700 w/ 200-500 f/5-6.3
    @ 200mm - f/6.7 - 1/30 sec - ISO-400 - Reflected light - M

Uh, guys ... that's HANDHELD ... at 200mm ... 1/30th ... of ... a ... second? Hey ... no photoshop magic, either. Just a crop and a raw lens.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-16-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Very nice! I hate it when boxes arrived all smushed.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Well, I guess I am wondering why B&H did not mark it clearly "FRAGILE. Toss underhand!"

I've been in these delivery facilities when the trucks come in and the swap begins. I know they are in a hurry, but from cryin' out loud, this is OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF!

Well, at least I did NOT have to return this one, but it does give me pause.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Okay ... zoo stuff. I kind of messed up, today ... because BEFORE I got to the zoo, I took a left and went to Chicago ... to the only place that just happened to have the SONY 135mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar lens. Uh, like the last one in stock ??? In the entire city ... know what I mean? Talk about pressure. Then, like an idiot ... I like went and shot through it? Holy smokes!!! It's like getting into a Ferrari ... after driving a Corvette. Something in you changes ... and you are like ... never the same.

So ... obviously ... yeah, I popped for it ... and it's now, like, my favorite lens. LOL

Anyway ... back to the zoo ... w/ the 200-500. Here is my 200-500mm shot of the Mandrill ... which I had a hell of a time getting with the 80-400mm, last time. A much better effort, I do believe. I really like that lens. Sure, it's kind of big, but it does deliver.

And his neighbor, one of the tree apes, snackin' down. This not a crop ... the lens gets right in there at 500mm

Name:  Tree-Ape.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  436.2 KB

I hope that answers a few questions. The airshow is getting closer ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-17-2008 at 11:31 PM.

flickr & Sdi

are you having AF issues with the a700 ? the mandrill shot looks great but the gorilla and some of your other shots in the other thread look misfocussed to me. not being a smart ass here, just an observation.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

No, you're right ... I was focused on that darn branch right in front of him. LOL

Honestly, I could not quite tell on the LCD, even magnified ... and I did not have any other shots that I liked from that particular run.

Today, well ... I got this guy with the 200-500 ... no branch!

flickr & Sdi

overexcited hands Don ? lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I'll tell ya ... today's effort at the Zoo was not quite as fruitful as the first one, that I did on the 1st. It was 98-degrees, here, today, and the animals were not pleased. Oh the giraffes and zebras did not seem to mind ... in fact, they were "playful."

Name:  Giraffe-4.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  giraffe-3.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  219.7 KB

Name:  Zebra-(male).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  451.5 KB

Name:  zebra-(female).jpg
Views: 136
Size:  425.4 KB

The big, furry mammals took the day off ... sleeping or hiding in their "habitats."

Name:  Grizzly-snoozin.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  456.6 KB

I have to quit picking the "hottest days" to go.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-18-2008 at 12:01 AM.

flickr & Sdi

have seen enough

Have been waiting and thinking, and asking advice in other posts about waiting for the 70-200 2.8 or the 200-500mm looks at don's pics, makes note of hand held hmmmmmm. checks the bank account, going to sign off here and check B&H and a few others for instock and price........WOW my third lens and havent even had the camera 2 months yet!!
    do you think I have a lens problem

No ... no problem. Why do you ask? LOL

flickr & Sdi