Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Well, I ordered a TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD from B&H Video, on Saturday night ... it arrived today, via UPS ... looking like this:

then, upon opening said packaging ... I found this:

BTW: If you look through my truck's windowshield glass ... you will barely make out the UPS truck behind it ... the golden UPS logo on the side, because I had the UPS driver "standby" as I "documented" and opened the darn thing. Happily, the lens survived this treatment. And, oh, speak of the devil ... here it is!

One thing is for certain, it'll be a while before this lens suffers from "zoom creep" ... it's good and stiff.

And this ... is my dog ... with that lens, handheld, cropped at 100%

Attachment 38026

Out of this original

Attachment 38027
    EXIF: A700 w/ 200-500 f/5-6.3
    @ 200mm - f/6.7 - 1/30 sec - ISO-400 - Reflected light - M

Uh, guys ... that's HANDHELD ... at 200mm ... 1/30th ... of ... a ... second? Hey ... no photoshop magic, either. Just a crop and a raw lens.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-16-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Very nice! I hate it when boxes arrived all smushed.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Well, I guess I am wondering why B&H did not mark it clearly "FRAGILE. Toss underhand!"

I've been in these delivery facilities when the trucks come in and the swap begins. I know they are in a hurry, but from cryin' out loud, this is OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF!

Well, at least I did NOT have to return this one, but it does give me pause.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Okay ... zoo stuff. I kind of messed up, today ... because BEFORE I got to the zoo, I took a left and went to Chicago ... to the only place that just happened to have the SONY 135mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar lens. Uh, like the last one in stock ??? In the entire city ... know what I mean? Talk about pressure. Then, like an idiot ... I like went and shot through it? Holy smokes!!! It's like getting into a Ferrari ... after driving a Corvette. Something in you changes ... and you are like ... never the same.

So ... obviously ... yeah, I popped for it ... and it's now, like, my favorite lens. LOL

Anyway ... back to the zoo ... w/ the 200-500. Here is my 200-500mm shot of the Mandrill ... which I had a hell of a time getting with the 80-400mm, last time. A much better effort, I do believe. I really like that lens. Sure, it's kind of big, but it does deliver.

And his neighbor, one of the tree apes, snackin' down. This not a crop ... the lens gets right in there at 500mm

I hope that answers a few questions. The airshow is getting closer ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-17-2008 at 11:31 PM.

flickr & Sdi

are you having AF issues with the a700 ? the mandrill shot looks great but the gorilla and some of your other shots in the other thread look misfocussed to me. not being a smart ass here, just an observation.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

No, you're right ... I was focused on that darn branch right in front of him. LOL

Honestly, I could not quite tell on the LCD, even magnified ... and I did not have any other shots that I liked from that particular run.

Today, well ... I got this guy with the 200-500 ... no branch!

flickr & Sdi

overexcited hands Don ? lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I'll tell ya ... today's effort at the Zoo was not quite as fruitful as the first one, that I did on the 1st. It was 98-degrees, here, today, and the animals were not pleased. Oh the giraffes and zebras did not seem to mind ... in fact, they were "playful."

The big, furry mammals took the day off ... sleeping or hiding in their "habitats."

I have to quit picking the "hottest days" to go.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-18-2008 at 12:01 AM.

flickr & Sdi

have seen enough

Have been waiting and thinking, and asking advice in other posts about waiting for the 70-200 2.8 or the 200-500mm looks at don's pics, makes note of hand held hmmmmmm. checks the bank account, going to sign off here and check B&H and a few others for instock and price........WOW my third lens and havent even had the camera 2 months yet!!
    do you think I have a lens problem

No ... no problem. Why do you ask? LOL

flickr & Sdi