Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Cool In preparation for the Full Frame

On my own authority ... LOL ... I have taken upon my self to prepare for the "Flagship" Full Frame from SONY.

In regards to this, I have three Di-style lenses coming to supplement the woeful array I already have. While I could and can use the PRIMES and TAMRON Adaptall2 lenses, I have opted for these two zooms:

TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO
    Konica Minolta AF 17-35mm f/2.8-4 (D)

and for good measure, threw in the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD Super-zoom, to support the new camera until such time that I decide (and figure out how to pay for) on selected SONY-glass.

I hope (and pray) TAMRON will finally get to market the SONY-mount of the SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD, to gap fill ... or this is going to be one long downhill ride.

I have experienced a lot of serious debate concerning how the camera is going to react to "lesser" glass and am quite interested to see what it is all about, as no one has much of anything to show in the way of proof or collected data.

Honestly, it is always the challenge ... but more so, this time, as this is a much larger sensor and has the built-in stabilization (unseen in any other full frame camera).

Anyway ... the little bag is getting full. Choices upon choices.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-13-2008 at 10:57 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don that is using your head spend the cash on lenses instead of on a lawyer to start a class action suite. LOL
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Sony for life!

Can't wait to see some test shots/comparisons!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Frank,

I just feel the market is being manipulated very devisively. I just seems wrong. But, I also know it is relatively impossible to move against these "godlike" monolithic companies, who have their fingers in everything. Even if the entire nation boycotted SONY cameras ... I do not believe they could change that much. Most of the high-end lens money is coming in from the Middle East and the rest of Asia. Now, if they put up a stink ... then there might be some reaction.

On the horizon, I do not believe the "Full Frame" will do well here, with that kind of burden on the front of it. A $10,000 system is far from the reach of even the most avid hobbyiest. I may be able to pony up for the body ... but the glass will be effectively a long way off.

There's no money in this ... it's just "love of the game."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-13-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I hear what you are saying but like you said there is not much we can do. I hope you are wrong because I am looking to upgrade to the A700 soon. I might have to get some good lenses first. Then look to get the A700. I don't think I will ever need the A900 but you never know. I cannot believe the price of the A200 is cheaper than my A100 that I got for about $200.00 less then the price at any store. Had I known then what I know now (which isn't much more) I would have gotten the A700. I didn't even know it was coming out when I ordered mine. We will just have to wait and see. At least somebody is on top of things.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

It's hard (expensive) to keep on top of technology. But you it's definitely good to learn what you got so you can make better informed decisions in the future . I'll probably keep my a300 for another 3-4 years and see what's out by then. Until then, more glass it is .

I am digging my Sony trench one lens/accessory at a time, lol.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Part of the reason I went with sony was to be different to stand out from the crowd, supporting the scrappy underdog as it were. Now it almost seems that Sony is making it hard on its own troops, never a good move. Speaking of glass, is there any idea of a date for the Tamron 70 - 200 f2.8 ? I really want it next, but might go ahead and get the 200 - 500 depending on how long I have to wait for the 70-200

Red face The sadder truth ... maybe

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Part of the reason I went with sony was to be different to stand out from the crowd, supporting the scrappy underdog as it were. Now it almost seems that Sony is making it hard on its own troops, never a good move. Speaking of glass, is there any idea of a date for the Tamron 70 - 200 f2.8 ? I really want it next, but might go ahead and get the 200 - 500 depending on how long I have to wait for the 70-200
    Now, don't anyone quote me on this, but I believe we are looking at the end of August (nice, huh?) for the SONY-mount release. TAMRON is firing these out as fast as production can do it, but it is annoying to have to wait. The entire Summer lost to lesser glass. Geez.

B&H shipped my 200-500 today ... should be here, Thursday. Then ...the flightline of the EAA. August 2nd and 3rd.

flickr & Sdi

I trekked over to Calumet Photographic, down at Oakbrook Center ...

Name:  Calumet-Oakbrook.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  190.6 KB
    A700 w/ K-M 17-35mm f/2.8-4 (D)
    @17mm - f/2.8 - 1/20 sec. - ISO-800 - available lighting

and caught sight of a TAMRON 70-200 f/2.8 (Canon-mount). The counter dude on the left is diving for the lens (hence the blur). After giving it the "once over", I am anxious for one when the SONY-mount arrives. I remember thinking (if you're just a hobbiest, you would have to be an absolute dufus or just a plain old fan-boy to buy a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM (non-IS), now that this is out ... at about half the price.) It many not be as quiet as USM, but with all the cell phones going off these days ... where you going get quiet, anyway? I can live with a little more sound at $500 less ... you can buy quite a few earplugs for that kind of coin.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-14-2008 at 02:47 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Dufus

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I remember thinking (if you're just a hobbiest, you would have to be an absolute dufus or just a plain old fan-boy to buy a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM (non-IS), now that this is out ... at about half the price.)
    Name calling isn't very nice Don. I take offense your statement, and I don't even own a 70-200. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 70-200 to fit my needs, and that would be the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L or 70-200 f/2.8L IS. So that fits me precisely into your dufus category or your fanboy category. I consider myself neither.

People make choices for different reasons, I personally like my equipment to focus accurately and have full time manual focus. DPreview. You choose to buy what you consider bargain glass, but then buy 4 times the amount required to cover a range, essentially saving you nothing. Tamron can certainly be bargain glass, incredibly good for what you pay for it, the 28-75 Xr Di f/2.8 is a good example. I'd still buy the Canon though, the build quality blows the Tammy away.

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    Part of the reason I went with sony was to be different to stand out from the crowd, supporting the scrappy underdog as it were.
    Nice sentiment there, but Sony is hardly an underdog. Sony is an electronics giant with an eye on monopoly all of the time. Sony always uses proprietary formats: Betamax, Memory Stick, Blu Ray, UMD, etc. and then tries to lever their way into being the only format with exclusive licensing rights. Pentax, Oly, Sigma, or Fuji, now there would be an underdog.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.