Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless flash??????

I have the A300 and HVL F36AM flash unit and am trying to figure out how to get the flash unit to fire from a remote, off camera location.

One would think all I have to do is turn ON wireless flash on camera (FN button/flash mode/WL), and then turn on the flash unit and set to wireless mode (which defaults to CH1...the camera should too I believe) and shoot.

So far no luck. I have tried shooting with the pop up flash on or off, wireless mode on etc....and yes, the batteries are full up on the 36AM unit. LOL

Neither the camera manual or flash manual talks about having to synchronize the two - I would expect it to just work, yet I remain unsuccessful. Any thoughts out there?

I helped my friend get his to work it was about 3 months ago. From what I remember you have to put it on the camera then set it up. It fires from the on camera flash. Hope this helps.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face Understanding is vital to this operation ...

This is the one aspect of the camera system I have never been comfortable with. Yes, I have gotten the HVL-F56AM to work wirelessly with the α100 and have yet to try it with the α700.

Here is a primer (<- click on link) for doing it ... with the mind of Minolta. Check it out and see if it helps you.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-12-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Continuing on ... I have since gone with PocketWizard Plus "wireless" triggers (<- click on link) and real 750W strobes for my studio work and controlled situational shooting. Obviously, if you cannot prepare ... then the portable external flash is your fallback.

Lighting has all sort of costs, but once you have the setup ... you are just about tready for anything (of course, what would life be without surprises, eh? There's always something else.)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-12-2008 at 05:41 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    I helped my friend get his to work it was about 3 months ago. From what I remember you have to put it on the camera then set it up. It fires from the on camera flash. Hope this helps.
    Frank
    Darn, that sounded like a possible solution, but I tried it quick and nothing.
    Put the flash unit on camera turned them on, set wireless on camera (it came on the unit automatically too) remove unit from camera while still powered up and shot with and without flash - but the remote did not fire. :-(

To me, wireless means two things...
    1. It should be triggered to flash without seeing another flash - wirelessly - unless it's really just an optically triggered flash unit, in which case it should not have to need any set up at all and would just work with any camera with a flash.
    2. It should not need to be on the camera to work. (which it does just fine when on the hot shoe)

Thanks Frank, at least this gives me something else to play with in different ways to see if I can find the right combination of actions to get it working...

One other thing is that the SONY/Minolta External flash needs to be "optically available" to the camera ... nothing between it and the camera ... or "blinding it" with a nearby lamp.

The PocketWizard's are radio frequency (a major advantage) and thereby do not look for an optical queue to fire. Fail safe? Well, darn near.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-12-2008 at 06:29 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks Don! All I'm really looking for is a basic "set up", though this primer covers the theory in depth for sure!!!

This is such a neat feature, you would think they would make it more straightforward...

You could take the time and put your understanding and instruction to paper. I'm sure those who haven't ever tried it ... or even those who have had issues, would appreciate a clear sequence of steps to make it work.

How about it, young lady? Writer's block?

"Cali, see your future, be your future. May, make, make it, make it. Make your future Cali. I'm, I'm a veg', Cali." (my thanks to Chevy Chase in Caddyshack for this modified quasi-quote of ... inspiration. LOL )
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-12-2008 at 06:41 PM.

flickr & Sdi

>>>"Cali, see your future, be your future. May, make, make it, make it. Make your future Cali. I'm, I'm a veg', Cali.<<<

LOL Don. This resonates with me more than you know. I am a single digit handicap golfer. I always make it.

Thumbs up You're alright ...

Congratulations on your golfing skill. Reading the greens and landscapes is an amazing art.

Just watch out for the gopher holes.

Name:  Caddyshack Gopher.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  10.4 KB

flickr & Sdi