Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Question

I know, I know, you're all probably getting sick of me by now =( sorry for so many questions but this is.. maybe the last one. I was told I should invest in a DSLR and so I sold some stuff and I now have about $900 to spend on one. WHOO!! now I've been browsing around on digicombos.com and I've found good deals on the Canon XTi, the Nikon D60, and the Olympus E-510 so my question basically is, which of these cameras is best for a person with the following needs:
    a durable camera (I'm 16... stuff happens but I'm not gonna be beating on it)
    the ability to shoot anything (I take pictures of people, antiques, cars, etc.)
    affordable lenses that can be bought for it (I dont get money alot)
    good functioning in the dark
    Image stabilization
    good black and white photos (I will be lending it to a b&w photographer)
    accurate reproduction of colors (always important)
    good to learn on (this is my first DSLR)
    flexible (I'm not sure what I like to shoot yet)
    reliable
    etc.

Please help me out... if you do maybe I'll go away, haha.
    I am the Sidewalk Prophet.
    sidewalk-prophet.deviantart.com

come to think of it the Sony A200 is on my maybe list too.. gah! help me narrow it down?

The Olympus line is relatively inexpensive to start out with (though they do make some very expensive lenses), and it has stabilization in the body so any lens/camera combo will have that advantage. It has a somewhat smaller sensor that may be a bit noisier (grainy) than other brands, among other things.

The D60 comes with a stabilized lens, but not all Nikkor lenses are stabilized and you usually pay a bit more for that feature, and not all of them have the built in focussing motor, so you might have to manually focus with some lenses. Some people like that, though.

I like Canon (from my film days) , and their cameras are pretty good. You'll have to buy stabilized lenses if you want that feature. Some people complain the XTi is too small for their hands.

Remember, you'll need to get a memory card or two, some type of bag, and perhaps a spare battery. Oh, and a big rocket blower like a Giotti "rocket blower" (not a tiny little bulb blower that you get with lens paper for $3.99) because... digital camera = dust spots. I don't use filters but many people think you need some protection on the lens at least, so figure another $100 in "stuff" beyond just the camera/lens purchase.

Good luck!
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

thanks for the info. I'll probably try to get ahold of them and at least see them first... though that might be hard here as we have NOTHING. Like I said I've been looking at digicombos.com which offers alot of things WITH the camera so no problems with getting most of that stuff. (tripod, lense cleaner, filters, bag, 1gb memory card, screen protector, etc.) I've pretty much got it down to the three you covered... I'm just giving myself a headache trying to make the decision.

You can't go far wrong with Canon, but you also consider Pentax's K200D and the older K10D.

Pentax's bodies are weather sealed. They have better kit lenses IMO. Fairly good high ISO performance. In body image stabilization: which means any lens you attach to it automatically becomes stabilized too. And the body is designed so that it is back-compatible with any Pentax K lens ever produced, and there are supposed to be 20 million out there in circulation. You might be able to score good deals on some of them and keep within budget.
    Samsung NX10+30mm+18-55mm OIS, Fuji S6500FD

agh! lol now I'm back to four cameras!! your sposed to be helping me NARROW the field!

you can go back and forth for all eternity.
    whats you budget ?
    what do you want to do particularly ?
    what sort of conditions do you want to shoot in ?
    are you the sort of person who will be changing lens' or do you want a do-it-all lens ?

personally, i would ditch the a200 off your list. unless you buy the a700 the rest of the sony dslr line up is not up to speed.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

budget= under $1000
    I want to take pictures, anything, everything, random- I'm an artist thats what I do
    varying conditions but probably normal outdoor and indoor lighting mostly
    I would like a do-it-all lens to last me until I have the budget for more

yeah it's been ditched but now pentax k200d is on it.

this is a pretty good deal for under $1k
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

or maybe a d60 body only + 18-200VR nikkor lens. if you can find it somewhere.

the pentax k200 and canon xti are both very good aswell. can;t really go wrong. alot of it will come down to what you prefer the feel of.

or, if you wait till sept you can pick up the canon 1000d
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...XS_a_k_a_.html

and add the canon 55-250IS lens which will be under $1k for the lot aswell.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz is right go and try them out somewhere if you can. His B&H suggestion must have been pretty good its now out of stock!!
    I recently bought an Olympus E510 with twin lens kit that covers much the same range as Rooz's suggestion, nice and light, handles well plus it is well under your price limit in the US (B&H $650). In fact you could get the new E520 version within your price range as it's being discounted already
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them