Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Manipulating TAMRON to purposely cutoff valid lenses ... because you have a new product and gaggle of your own lenses you want to exclusively push ... I am sorry Dave, that flies in the face of ethical operation. This is pure greed ... and we are really suffering as a nation ... no, as a world, because of it. This is so blatantly obvious, it has to be held up as an example of a problem that is being created ... not because of production, but to purposely manipulate market forces in ways that create mistrust and future decision-making.
    All this may be true, but I don't believe any of it is actionable. Ethics and law are two different things. It has nothing to do with monopolies either, you can always buy a camera from plenty of other companies.

It may suck, it may be lousy business, but I don't see where you have a legal leg to stand on. Your recourse is to take your business elsewhere.

Next stop...Nikon!
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Next stop...Nikon!
    Oh Don ... LOL. As if!

I suppose I could make some calls, downtown, to see what legal recourse there is to this type of chicanery. I hate to always be the pile-driver in these situations, but we all are dealt one hand to play with. I believe in tackling issues to seek the truth and understanding. If there are mitigating reasons for deleting the SONY-mount from selected TAMRON lenses, then fine. But, if this is just a clever maneuver to milk even more money out of the customer, then these people are on a different level of doing business. The fun will stop and the pursuit of justice should step up and do the job we pay them for.

After glancing at the "European Union microsoft competition case", there may be some precedent that can be established to force a reversal of this situation. Anyway, here's the situation as I see it.

Initial Complaint

In 2008, Don Schap said that SONY was blocking its competitors out of the lens market through anti-competitive practices. The complaint centered on the forced discontinuation of several specific TAMRON lenses, at the time, which required mount licensing for the lens type to the supplier of SONY’s licensed mount, whether or not the unit actually would be used on the upcoming “Flagship” camera body.

This complaint also sighted that APS-C sensor lenses (henceforth referred to as Di-II) were continuing in production, maintaining the SONY-mount and targeted toward a different line of SONY DSLR camera.

The complaint also included the specific discontinuation of the previously available TAMRON Adaptall2 collar for SONY/Maxxum, depriving all SONY DSLRS from using Adaptall2-style lenses, while the remaining camera manufacturer’s collars were still available to the consumer for Adaptall2 lenses

Relief sought

Immediate availability of SONY Alpha/Minolta mounts on any sighted TAMRON Di-lenses and the availability of the Adaptall2 collar for SONY/Maxxum to the buying public.

I have no problem seeing them actively correct this kind of issue. Nobody should.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-11-2008 at 04:05 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I have no problem seeing them actively correct this kind of issue. Nobody should.
    Again, this is a purely business decision in a non-monopoly market. I don't see where you have any standing here, Sony is entirely in their right to change the market by restricting the number of lenses they make, raising the prices on the remaining ones, and discontinuing products. They think they can make more money this way, and they may be right.

It sucks if you wanted to buy lower priced lenses, but that's what the free market is all about. Sony didn't have to license the lens mount technology to anyone if they didn't want to. Market forces, not the legal system, will address this issue.

Cool

True enough ... my main motivation was to alert the prospective "A900-buying" folks that they had best get their TAMRON glass as soon as possible, because it is disappearing. SONY-glass will ALWAYS be there ... to empty out your wallet in grand fashion, so there is no need to worry about that. You pop the cash, they will pop the glass.

Name:  onpare_wb_lg.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  78.5 KB
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

how many tamron lens' have you ever seen on a 1D or D3 ? hell i havent seen many tamron/ sigma's on a 5d.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

True enough ... my main motivation was to alert the prospective "A900-buying" folks that they had best get their TAMRON glass as soon as possible, because it is disappearing.
    I agree that getting the news out is a worthy goal and one that deserves to happen.

Rooz ... SONY people are, by nature, a little more of a hodge-podge of glass than Canon and Nikon types.

TAMRON is the strong leader in that regard ... and seeings that TAMRON and Minolta were very close in lens production, it makes sense.

Full Frame and 35mm-film are definitely closer in third party than Canon and Nikon camera systems, because there hasn't been a full frame up until now.

I have to admit ... if I have $10,000-15,000 to just toss away on new glass, I'd buy the killer SONY bag o' glass ... but, darn few folks are in a position to do that. They are slowly working their bag up in quality and can't just drop that line of credit for a camera system.

Oh, you occasionally have your "CW" .. and what not ... but that's the exception, certainly not the rule. It takes time to get used to the new camera and be able to turn out superior results that can be sold for profit.

I guess we shall see what reported sales turn out after Photokina.

flickr & Sdi

Rooz ... SONY people are, by nature, a little more of a hodge-podge of glass than Canon and Nikon types.
    thats cos they havent been around long enough to establish a long lens lineup. and the fact that they have never attempted to appeal to the pro photographer. if a pro ever buys a sony i doubt they're gonna be mounting a tamron lens to their camera when there is a far superior zeiss lens on offer.

i dont disagree with your point that this is a bastard move from sony, but put in perspective...not sure it really makes that much difference in reality to those that opt for a FF dslr.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Fair enough ... not having a choice seems a little over the top. Like SONY wants to make darn sure no one even tries to shoot their new toy through ... less then the primo glass.

In a way, makes some sense ... in others ... totally uncool. I will be anxious to see some comparisons. Then, my friend ... the truth will out.

flickr & Sdi