Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Smile So it's summer ... at the lil' Honda shop

Okay, so in my younger days ... I had a motorcycle. Hey, the Navy doesn't pay all that well, back in 1977, even worse ... car ideas were ... either total bombs or a present from the folks. You couldn't really afford a new one on the salary. Shipboard life doesn't really allow for long term parking, so ... you have to keep it "convenient", kind of like the 18-200 lens idea.

Well ... today, since gasoline prices are on their way to outer space ... I made a stop at a store I had not been inside of for over thirty years.

The Honda 750 has always been my bike of choice ... even back in '77, it ruled the road. Oh sure, the CBX and other monsters were developed, but for solid and reliable builds ... it was the trusty CB750F. The real test of your skill was aligning the four carburators that fed those four cylinders.

Anyway, the modernized version is the Honda Shadow Spirit 750 ... V-twin, shaft-drive, which may just wind up on my wish list. It is just a tad bit easier for carburator alignment.

Name:  Honda-Shadow-Spirit-750.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  392.2 KB
    EXIF: A700 w/ TAMRON 17-50 f/2.8 @ 40mm - f/5.6 - 1/60 sec. - ISO-800 - Spot Metering - M

(Look at the f/5.6 bokeh ... LOL -> as if! I tell ya, I love a good guassian blur. shhh, don't say anything.)

So, throw on a set of saddlebags and just a windshield (not a fairing) to maintain the lines of the machine ... and this has some photography equipment toting potential.

I thought I'd share this puppy. Personally, I really wish gas were cheaper. There is a certain level of "road respect" these vehicles lack ... and around Chicago, that can get you ... eliminated. Who knows, I got a T-shirt for the consideration.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-09-2008 at 11:06 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don - How much would one of those cost new?

How about the local H/D shop?

Always been a fan of harley's my fav is the fatboys, but living in north east Ohio like the Chicago area it can be hard to justify keeping it in the garage for half the year lol. yea I know if your dedicated you ride it all year long!
    Have you checked out the new lines of H/D some very attractive bikes, bet they would look darn good in photos! check out picks of the '08 soft tail line, the new fatboys are there, the night train looks awesome in the pearl black finish, Don check out the heritage classic soft ride hydros, saddle bags for gear, windshield and a sweet retro look. Of course Honda 750 most likely gets better gas mileage then a lot of the Harleys, and when did bikes start to cost as much as cars? so there goes that arguement for the wife. Oh well I do have this awesome machine called the a700 to play with all summer long
    Sean

@ JonathanJ - That's $7099 new w/ $500 bonus bucks off that.

Prices may vary, but that here in Cook County, Chicago ... the home of high taxes and even higher gasoline prices.

@seanhoxx - H/D has never really been a real big draw for me. I happen to like BMW motorcycles, to be honest. I have since I was 16. That's a long time. Whew!

Unfortunately, my physical "back issues" are probably going to preclude me from making this idea reality. It certainly did back when I initially had my surgery and was preparing to buy a 2003 BMW 1200 RT touring bike ... and it hasn't really gotten any better since. Still, it is fun to imagine the open road, once again.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi