Looking at Fuji S 1000fd??? Opinions??
Hi, I am in western Canada and have been an old Nikon SLR user...of the baby boomer era. Sold the cam some time ago and at Christmas bought the better half the Panasonic LZ7 at $300 cdn. We are both very pleased with its portability and pic quality but miss the view finder.
The better half never has been into cams that much, I was.
I am looking at the 1000 fd to take out when travelling or simply with me as she does with the Panasonic.
I miss the view finder and thus am looking at the Fuji.
I have done reading from Google and tried a few of the camera shops out here but most carry the Canon so that you buy the extra lenses etc,
Since our family is grown we don't want to get into that all over again as we did with the old Nikon SLR bodies that I had with various lenses.
Fuji price seems good... Staples $229, however I have a few queries in spite of my reading.
1, I see the Picture Stabilization is in SP2, does that mean that once it is set that it will function in all modes including SP1?
2. Is it Pict Bridge compatible as we have a Canon Selphy ES1 printer for 4 X 6 size pics when we travel to remote areas in BC where relatives live and finding a digital printing outlet is a long drive a way.
3. I have read that using the "auto"setting produces noisy pics ??? The better half maybe using the cam and I don't want to have to keep resetting it for her and thus Auto was always good with our old SLR's and that is what she uses on the Christmas purchased Panasonic LZ7. Is this cam not a good choice if it may get "auto" setting use?
4. What is the max SD card useable on this cam?
5. I have been using the San Disk Ultra lite 1 gig on the Panasonic and have been pleased with them. Is the Lexar better...or what would be the suggestion for this cam. I like the SD card as my notebook has it and also the Canon Selphy ES1 printer, though I am sure I can get adapters. I would prefer to use the same mem cards for our camcorder, Panasonic and this Fuji if it is a good choice to buy.
6. Can one get a UV filter for this model?
7. Are there any other suggested accessories to buy for it?
8. We don't really need another cam at this very moment, however saw the price on this one and potentially what the cam can do after I have googled it, however I would like to hear from owners/users of their experiences.
9. Is the flash decent, does it come on automatically? of is it a manual set up. I don't like the latter.
I wondered also if it has flash fill in capabilities.
It sounded from one article that I read that I could add a slave flash. If this is so, is there any compact quality suggestions>
I remember the huge one that I had with my SLR that bounced off the ceiling etc. and I don't want to start lugging around large accessories again. I am not going to be doing hobby pics again.
10. Does this cam have any blatant short falls that I should be aware of before I really consider the purchase. The price is right, however often times that means that the manufacturer had to skimp on some area to have the price that low????
11. What is the LCD screen like for viewing recently taken pics when it is bright out? With the Panasonic we have a Delkin hood on the 2 1/2 inch lcd and find it necessary otherwise you can't see what you are taking nor can you view the quality of what was taken. If a hood is needed, would it interfere with the view finder use?
I really would appreciate any and all comments re this camera. After spending the $300 at Christmas on the Panasonic I really don't want to get that high again price wise.
We actually have 2 of the Panasonic LZ7's, the other our college son uses.
Anyway, I always like to hear from users. I searched and found a couple of topics on this model but nothing really about user experiences.
I would sincerely appreciate any and all comments.
Thank you for your time.
Cheers this is me at the moment re this camera >>>>>
Last edited by Dizzy; 07-09-2008 at 06:39 AM.