Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Your Settings

Your Settings

I have faffed around for a while and found one of the most relyable settings
    on My D80 is Auto for contrast and Auto for Saturation.
    Unlike my last two P&S's there is only 3 levels of contrast when manually selected - but in Auto it seems to adjust more finely. Now, I would advise against just leaving on one setting and forgetting it.
    I was just trying out my new Tamron 28 - 200 and it was the cat on the bed shot - a standard test shot for me. I have never taken this on Auto contrast and saturation. The problem is - it is indoors and low on contrast due to diffused lighting. The Auto over cooked it in my opinion. So I popped it all back to Manual Normal (Subsequently forgot and took a load of test shots outside which were a little flat!!)
    Many may think the 1st shot is fine (from colour & Contrast point of view) but I know how he looks and the colour of the quilt.
    So
    Here's 3 similar images of Oliver - the first was in Auto contrast and Saturation
    the 2nd was in normal - but I was also in AWB - this shot needs fine colour tuning - so - the 3rd is a PP fine colour and contrast tweak.
    I would be interested to hear what settings others resort to as generally OK settings - I also use AWB a lot of the time especially in mixed lighting - there is fine control red to blue - but no fine control Green to Magenta - AWB seems to take the G-M scale on board as well.
    rambled on a bit - here's my little example...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Geoff Chandler; 07-08-2008 at 05:26 AM.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

is it the same WB for the first as it is with the 2nd 2 ? wow, thats a massive WB differnece. sheeesh.

FWIW, i prefer #1. cant be sure, but i think if you checked your histogram, the 2nd 2 shots would be falling quite short on the right. while the first one looks better balanced.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

All on AWB which is not ideal with this shot.
    I will still leave the contrast and saturation in Auto most of the time as it seems to generally sort things out more often than not.

No help from me LOL...

It's difficult to comment on these shots (as we don't know precisely what Oliver's hair colour is other than you've said #3 is colour adjusted). So.....

To me, all of them look pretty okay no help I know !

If I were to be picky, I'd say #1 renders Oliver's fur too red and unnaturalistic-looking, and I don't know about the quilt colour, but does it matter if the cat is the subject in this example?

#2 looks okay except that it's (to my eye) too cool, and even a tad underexposed.

#3 also looks okay, and probably the copy I'd choose.

Viewed in isolation of course, all three look pretty good, with no obvious IQ faults that leap out at you. I'd probably rely on the auto WB myself with the proviso there wasn't a mixed light source illuminating the subject. Like everyone else, I guess I generally have the most issues with indoor, incandescent lighting, and I've also noticed a slight but noticeable subject colour shift with the low-energy type globes (2700K) we're using in Australia now.

Cheers

Beowulff ~ Thanks for the helpfull comments - I think I would agree with them completely.
    I am awaiting a Skylight/UV filter - which I always use on all lenses - I find it does have a posative effect in terms of haze and slight blue casts on blue sky days.
    I also think the Tamron exposes slightly differently to my other lenses - only a touch - but I percieve it as more correct in that area and it responds to over and under exposure a little more pedictably.
    Final feelings and findings will follow once I have the filter and have taken some more shots - I may even revert to Matrix if I think this lens exposes more correctly!!!
    (EDIT: - Actually - I doubt it about the Matrix! - further shots prove the lens quite predictable
    and acceptable on my existing settings)
    Last edited by Geoff Chandler; 07-08-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Can't comment the settings but #1 is more pleasant to look at. #2 way too blue and cold. #3 is what - greenish in there?
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Many may think the 1st shot is fine (from colour & Contrast point of view) but I know how he looks and the colour of the quilt.
    eeeeexactly. i can't comment on the other shots because i don't know your cat! i like #1 of course because a brighter cat is a "more pretty cat" and the quilt isn't important, so it being a more shaded out color is desirable.

maybe #3 is accurate, but #1 is a "magazine shot"; pleasing, not accurate.
    Canon XSi \ Kit Lens 18-55mm \ Sigma 105mm \ Canon 55-250mm | Gallery

Guys - thanks for spending the time to comment on what is, after all just a mere test.
    It does however help a lot and get me thinking.
    Here's #1 shot tweaked to look more correct - the colour is still a bit bolder
    than the real thing - but a good representation none the less.
    I think I can agree that #1 shot is the most appealing - especially if you haven't got the real thing in front of you. It is a bit red!
    The #2 shot was flat - I agree.
    It all goes to show that you can't just leave the camera on one setting and expect every shot to be OK - Up until recently I was manually dialing in colour temps and I had contrast and saturation on normal.
    I was a bit dissapointed at the limited adjustments for Saturation in particular
    so I was quite pleased when I tried the Auto saturation as it seemed more variable across the range.
    Auto White balance is quite good in a similar way - I found it to also work the Green Magenta range - I did some tests under mixed daylight and fluorescent lighting and got the most accurate results in AWB - I realised that AWB only comes unstuck when you go below it's lower colour temp limit.
    OK Ok - I have gone on too long
    Here's a tweaked #1 Image (please scuse slight camera shake - but it was only a test)
    Attached Images Attached Images