Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Disney Trip & Lessons Learned

Well as a beginner in the DSLR realm I'm learning through experience. After all trial and error is the only way you get better. So with that said we ventured on our yearly trip to Disney for my daughter's b-day which falls on the 4th of July.

I learned a few lessons....lol

1. Never ever attempt to go to a park as big as Disney without a telephoto lense. I tried but mine never arrived in time. So there I was walking around with the standard Kit lense.

2. Carry a small cover for your camera and not a huge bag. With the temp well into the 90's it was unbearable to carry a bag without much camera.
    The Lowepro bag did come in handy when riding the water rides especially the rapids. I was soaked but the bag remained dry. In retrospect I would have done a small tiny cover bag over the camera. Sling it over my shoulder and off. Lightweight was key.

3. Night shooting without a great flash or a tripod is pointless.

4. Did I mention needing a telephoto zoom lense?

5. I need practice practice practice and will be back next year for my Disney attempt.

With that said here are a few shots. Nothing spectacular but I'm a Star Wars fan so that was huge for me as well as my daughter who even though she's the girly girl her mom always wanted, she's still a huge Star Wars fan. lol

As usual your critiques, comments , suggestions are all invaluable and I do appreciate all your posts. Thanks.

Well ... since you didn't have a fill-flash the size of Texas ... I did a mock-HDR on your image, to try and recover the lost-in-silohuette parts of the image. I'm not sure what your intent was, because that's part of your own artistry, but I felt this might have been what you were alluding to with your lack of flash power comment. If not, I apologize.

Name:  California-Grand_HDR2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  250.6 KB
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wow Don talk about bringing that orange out in the Orange. Looks great. I like it. Actually the flash comment was for my really horrific and embarrassing pictures that I took at night of a "light parade". The fact I went there with a great camera and didn't have the lense and a good flash hurt but hey I chalk it up to experience. I've just started and am building.

That photo I took that you made the mock HDR image was at 7:35pm. I wanted to capture the calm sunset feel to it. That area looked very peaceful and almost abandoned, which it wasn't.

Can't stop staring at your HDR that you made. Thank you. Awesome.
    Shooting with a Sony a300
    Sony 18-70mm
    Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD

Well ... I kind of went a little further ,,, shhh, don't tell anyone ... I really do like the poster filter. I felt this might make for a cool looking T-shirt to remember the event.

Name:  doesnt-mattahorn-2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  371.4 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-06-2008 at 09:00 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

And you did all these with the sony Kit lens? WOW. The first few are great (star wars!) and didn't need a telephoto (much). It sure is fun carrying around an A300 isn't it?

Thanks for sharing!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II