Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HDR attempt

Quote Originally Posted by herc182 View Post
    You CANNOT make HDR from one exposure. HDR = High Dynamic Range.

If you have taken one photo, thats the Dynamic Range of the sensor (which is generally NOT what you see with your eye).

In Donschaps efforts, those are just filters or effects.

What I think you are looking for is HDR effect which can be super saturated surreal looking photos. IMHO the first shot you posted looks awful as a HDR shot because its not HDR.

Dons aint much better. The first shot Donshap posted entitled "HDR" is not HDR. The sky is white. The original showed the sky blueish. That "HDR" shot could have come out of the camera (and looked better) but exposed for the shadows. You would need at least two more to make up the midtones and the highlights. But thats my opinion. If thats the effect you are after, then by all means, go for it!
    Thank you...someone else who understands this concept.

Jonathan, that is proper use of HDR and a good example of where and when its needed. Here is another example:

Here is what we are focusing on in this image...hot highlights:

The red areas indicate overexposure and loss of information. If only we could have toned the exposure down a bit with a faster shutter speed...wait, we did. But then the bottom half of the church would be too dark right? We took care of that too. In the 3 images above, I exposed one image normally, one -2 stops under, and one +2 stops over to complete the dynamic range I am after. The completed image looks something like this...

Notice I have detail throughout the scene and have a properly exposed image. This is impossible for modern day digital image sensors to capture in one exposure thus the need for this process.

This is handheld btw, and a testament to Photoshop's aligning ability.
    Last edited by Visual Reality; 07-08-2008 at 02:16 PM.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

There is nothing wrong with "tricking out" a solo-image to resolve exposure problems ... call it "mock-HDR" or whatever you want.
    The idea is a uniform improvement of the image, to bring out something that was lost. Not everything lends to doing this ... but,
    the idea has some merit.

When you don't have a tripod and a release ... it gets pretty tough to do identical line-up with multiple images. You can get close,
    but it hoses up the "apparent" focus pretty badly if you are off. Single-shot manipulation alleviates this problem significantly.

It may not be the conventional method, but one-shot might just do it all, if you are clever ... LOL

Hey, let's face it, when you are rescuing images ... all bets are off.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-08-2008 at 02:24 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, look again...the image above is handheld and Photoshop CS3 masterfully merged them as sharp as a single shot...no one has guessed that was HDR until I tell them, then show them the original.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

It's a great tool, Eric ... and thankfully, you are having successful merges, but I have had issues with that in some of my work. So, there are
    limitations I am facing that don't make this the greatest tool in world for me. I imagine there are OTHERs who also may be running into these
    issues. Not to mention LENS CREEP. That will definitely mess you up! LOL

Whatever ... let me just say: "Nice job!"
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It is up to the software...Photomatix isn't that good at making a clean merge if you aren't spot on and using a tripod. Neither is Paintshop Pro Photo X2.

For Sale:

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod