Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tamron Sony AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD Lens Mini Review

Tamron Sony AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di-II LD Lens Mini Review

These are all I got now. The sony pictures were taken first and the Tamron was taken second (about 6-7 minutes apart). And it was in the early evening/late afternoon, so it was getting a little bit darker so those are the differences you see.

The lens itself is very nice. It is quite weighty (almost the same as my Tamron 70-300mm) but feels solid especially compared with the sony kit lens which is made of cheap plastic and is very light, almost too light, like a toy.

The lens focuses very fast and has a nice aperture allowing for a "faster" aperture. I really like having more aperture values to play when shooting in "A" mode.

The lens comes with as you would expect, both caps but also a bayonet style hood (unlike the plain cone one that came with my Tamron 70-300mm), so it looks real pro! . For the money, it should probably come with a case .

On to the results,

Cropped from this:

-

-

Code:
    EXIF:

Camera Make: SONY
    Camera Model: DSLR-A300
    Image Date: 2008:07:01 19:15:42
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 35.0mm (35mm equivalent: 52mm)
    Exposure Time: 0.040 s (1/25)
    Aperture: f/11.0
    ISO equiv: 100
    White Balance: Auto
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual

As you can see, the Tamron lens is clearly much sharper and crisp on the edges whereas the Sony is a bit blurred and has a ton of purple fringing.

I will continue to update this review when I have a chance to do it again and get better more consistent (time of day) results and a more interesting subject). And I will try to get something in the middle and at f/5.6 (sony minimum aperture), f/8 and f/11.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by dr4gon; 07-03-2008 at 04:07 PM.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Question

I am wondering ...

Was there something you did not find on this (DCRP) and other websites that led you to producing this review? The 17-50mm f/2.8 is not really all that new, anymore. It came out in April 2006 (<- Click on this link for personal review & thread) and I guess it would be hoped that enough crosstalk has gone on about the significant advantages of this lens over the SONY DT 18-70 that further comparison would be, well ... no longer necessary.

Believe me, I was pretty "steamed" when I got the A100K kit (July 2006) ... with that DT 18-70 lens. I immediately conducted a series of tests ... and quickly relegated that particular lens to "the shelf", which is where lenses I feel no longer produce quality images for me go (Integrity precludes me from sticking someone else with that kind of low level image quality ... so I'll eat it.) I wound up going with my two older Tokina 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 & Minolta 35-70mm f/4, until I purchased the TAMRON SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) SONY-mount, to seal the deal.

This landscape was among one of the first images I took with the 17-50 ... to prove linearity @ 17mm

Name:  Conservatory-St-Charles.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  204.9 KB

Although this lens was mounted on my EOS 20D, at the time, it proved to be a truly nice and sharp lens ... similar to its earlier brother, the TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) The original image has been archived, so doing a 100% would be a bit difficult. There may be something in the above link, on pages 4 or 5, to the earlier review, that shows some cropped close-ups.

If you had not gone with the 17-50, even the TAMRON AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3XR Di-II LD ASpherical (IF) offers better aspects to your images, than that kit lens. In fact, it does so much that I keep the newer 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 continuously mounted on my A100 as the "grab & go" camera, because I know I can get a very reasonable shot with it. I really cannot say that based on the quality that the SONY DT 18-70 produces.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-07-2008 at 08:38 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah, now that I have 2 lenses, I sometimes struggle over which to use. But the 17-50 has a nice aperture. And 300mm provides a little extra over 250mm (but obviously the quality isn't as good as the DI-II lens). But all in all 17-50mm makes a good "walk around lens" for most (well, many) applications.

I just made this because I got scared after reading reports of people getting a bad lens (very bad blurring) and it wasn't cheap so I wanted to see if mine was really up to par, and yeah, it looks like it is . And 2 I thought people here would like to read more about it if they are on the fence. Actually the only reason I got it was because I got it at a good price (~$300) and it's done really well so far.

lol I thought this thread was lost forever!

Just found this review posted yesterday: http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/47-s...8_sony?start=2
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I kind of figured it was something along those lines.

Fact is ... the 17-50mm is a pretty darn good lens on the SONY DSLRs. I think it should be offered as the real lens choice for most beginners. The SONY DT 18-70 is so bad I'm surprised people don't wind up returning it.

But, hey, that's just me.

Nice use of the 17-50 ... have fun with it.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I kind of figured it was something along those lines.

Fact is ... the 17-50mm is a pretty darn good lens on the SONY DSLRs. I think it should be offered as the real lens choice for most beginners. The SONY DT 18-70 is so bad I'm surprised people don't wind up returning it.

But, hey, that's just me.

Nice use of the 17-50 ... have fun with it.
    Well I got the a300 for $599 + tax at Circuit City with the kit lens and a 75-300mm Sony DT lens. I sold the zoom lens and got the Tamron 70-300 and the kit lens will be on the shelf for a while and probably be sold with the camera whenever I move on.

I am amazed at the 17-50 though, it's a good replacement and am glad you recommended it. f/2.8 is very useful!
    flickr

Thumbs up Gettin' the shot

I got this recent shot in Colorado with it ... and this is what makes it all worthwhile.

Name:  GOTG-From-the-west.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  222.6 KB

^-- Blowing it up ... it's sharp enough to pick up this "dude" climbing on it.

Name:  dude-in-my-GOTG-shot.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  151.9 KB

This is exactly why I like it. It delivers.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-07-2008 at 10:21 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Did you get the one with the motor (new) or the one without (old)?
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

wow that's really cool. what aperture is that?

visual, what motor are you talking about? the AF?
    flickr

EXIF info:
    Focal Length: 35mm
    Aperture: f/8
    Exposure Time: 1/1500
    ISO-800
    Spot Metering
    Manual

I know this seems a bit extreme, but I wanted a very crisp look to the shot ... and got it.

flickr & Sdi

Did you not have a tripod (ISO-800?) at the time? It's a very cool shot though. You're always finding little hidden things in your pictures (bald eagle hiding in the trees)
    flickr