Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Fireworks from the SONY

Okay ... the base image of the piece (below) was taken with the SONY A100 and the TAMRON 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens, last year. The A700 had not been released, at the time (that occured in September, 2007), so even with just a 10.2 MP sensor ... you can have some fun.

Name:  solarized-works.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  222.5 KB

July 3rd and July 4th, the fun begins, again ... as we all set up the ol' tripod, release cables and 1-second exposures.

Good luck and let's see what you get.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-03-2008 at 01:10 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

some funny stuff going on in that photo on my monitor.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

in my monitor too.

mine too
    You first see a photo with your mind, and then capture it with your camera!

Canon - EOS 50D | BG-E2N | 70-200mm f/4 L IS | 400mm f/5.6 L | Sigma - 18-50mm f/2.8 EX | 30mm f/1.4 EX | 150mm f/2.8 Macro EX | | Misc - 430EX | OC-E3 | EF-12 Ex Tube | Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro 2x TC | FotoFile Backpack AW | Lowepro Nova 3 AW | Tripod | Panasonic FZ5.

My Flickr

Oh great, you posted your fireworks! I was going to ask for some suggestions.

You think the 70-300mm would be better for some tight close up pictures or the 17-50mm?

And should I use something like f/8 and use a shutter release and open the lens when it starts and close it when it finishes?

the original picture is in the official fireworks 2007 thread, lol.....
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Well ... that was a "solarized" or "black light" version of a shot I snapped, so ... "there is nothing wrong with your Television. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are now controlling the transmission. We control the horizontal ... and the vertical. We can delude you with a thousand channels, or expand one single image to crystal clarity ... and beyond. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. We will control all that you see and hear ..."(<- click on link)

@ dr4gon: the wider lens assures you will have gotten it all, because otherwise, you will be trying to steer your telephoto lens in all different directions, trying to keep up with the show. There's no time for that. You have to hold still, usually for a 1/2 second, to get the expansion. Longer and it tends to look a little strange, shorter ... and it closes prematurely. Tripod is the best way, in my experience. The best you can get out of a stabilized anything is around 1/15th second. That won't cut it with fireworks.

Tonight, wide-shooting is in vogue ... and left on the tripod, depending on your distance, about 18mm-35mm should do fine. Cropping will be key, afterwards.

Here's 28mm, at 1/3-mile away ... that I monkeyed around with ...

Name:  PR fireworks 3.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  52.0 KB
    EXIF: 28mm - f/4.5 - 1/2 sec - ISO-200 - Manual - Fireworks lighting (Remember, this is an incenduary. A lot more yellow in it ... so Kelvin will be lower.)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-03-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Then a crop ... can be cool, too ... because, you cannot control where in the sky it will fly!

Name:  PR-fireworks-2a.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  295.7 KB

Name:  OCC Fireworks 2.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  144.5 KB

Last edited by DonSchap; 07-03-2008 at 09:27 AM.

flickr & Sdi

This year, just for fun, I'm going to try a couple with the Cokin Filter System, like the "starburst", "cosmos", "radial zoom", "diffusion" and, of course, the "multi-image" optical filters, on the front of the cameras (A100 and A700). I took this from the monitor ... to kind of see what might happen ...

Name:  multi-1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  349.5 KB
    Should be a real mess. LOL You folks put up the normal stuff.

I 've also got twin releases and two tripods, so I can trip both cameras at the same time, for a kind of unnatural stereoscopic side-by-side exposure. That should give it some depth.

Again, it is all about field of view ... and timing! The shots I took, last year, were from about 1/3 mile - 1/2 mile away. As a show, most people would have hated it ... but, from the camera's vantage point ... it was awesome ... at 28mm. Had I been closer ... it would have tilted the camera higher ... and I would have needed to go wider, so 17mm or 18mm might have been the order of the day.

I am bringing the SIGMA 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6, just to see what I can see ... and who knows, depending on where we wind up (she wants to be a lot closer, this year - LOL), it may just be a "sky-filler."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-03-2008 at 10:24 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Hedging on the wide-side

In fact ... since I'm on a roll ... LOL

Here's a relatively cheap "fixed" wide-angle solution I have employed in the past. It takes a Minolta 28mm f/2.8 standard wide-angle lens ... and adds a Phoenix x0.45 digital lens to the front of it, thereby making the 28mm an UWA 13mm f/3.3 (effectively a 21mm w/ the APS-C sensor's crop factored in)

Park that combo atop a tripod and half the sky is your playground. Distortion? Who cares? It's fireworks! The prevailing wind gives you more distortion than the darn lens does!

The "wide" 0.45x digital lens (effectively a filter) is only around $75 ... which just beats the snot out of having to spring for a $500 UWA. It's base aperature (f/3.3 when mounted on a f/2.8) is also wider than 90% of the zoom UWAs available. So lots-o-light gathering capability (psst, better ISO for color saturation)

Name:  weapon-of-choice.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  382.0 KB

Name:  UWA-combo-28mm-&-x0-45.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  191.7 KB

There isn't a P&S out there that can compete with what this can do.

If you are not making money at this ... believe me, this is the way to go.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-03-2008 at 01:11 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Fireworks = flashback

Thanks Don for the Outer Limits flashback, now the question is who all is old enough to remember watching it on a black and white T.V. ?
    Sometime when you have a moment "I know it's a busy weekend for lots of folks" would you tell me how you do the "solarized" shots, is it in P.P. ? I haven't even begain to play around with that yet.
    and what about a I/R photo could that then be "solarized? what would the effect be?
    Sean