Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Red face Whoa, baby!

Here's a series I did, underneath and during the "Porpoise Show" in the Seven Seas Panorama. I want you to know, it's not easy timing this, because once the dolphin leaves the tank ... you don't know when it's comin' back!

Name:  up-&-back.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  448.9 KB

Did I ever mention I really, really hate shooting through glass. LOL ... this is terrible.

Took a lot of PP to get it to look THIS good.

Name:  Flipper-says-hi.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  381.7 KB

This is like the ultimate ACTION shot ... the dolphins are constantly moving and changing speed, so nothing less than 1/60th (usually 1/90th) was required, or they were a blur, the lighting is tragically dim, I'm tickling ISO levels at 1600-2000 (trying to avoid noise thresholds) ... the base aperture is f/4, because DOF underwater is so goofed up. Shooting through glass that had children's fingerprints all over it, on one side, and build up of marine life on the other. I was literally dreaming up settings to try and compensate. Man, no doubt, I needed a lot more LIGHT!

And oh ... to say nothing of the incredibly difficult autofocusing ... LOL ... shut it off, already. It was basically the same issue I ran into in the John Hancock Building, with the air show. You'd have focus for a few tenths of a second ... then, as you swept ... the distortion created by the glass ... lost. Extremely frustrating.

I was actually amused with all the people complaining and carrying on about how there little P&S cameras rendered the dolphins looking more like "slugs" than what they were. Problem was ... I wasn't doing a whole lot better. Well, maybe ... but, dog gone ... with each passing cloud, the surface light simply seemed to disappear. Another aspect is that these fellows are GRAY. They literally have no contrast for the autofocus to lock onto ... similar to the GRAY they paint warships and aircraft with, to reduce image lock. Well ... I'm here to tell you it works real well with cameras, too. I have them dead to rights ... and the camera didn't even know they were there.

This is a pretty typical rendering ... without touch-up ... you can even see the little smudgy handprints on the glass.

Name:  Typical-Underwater.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  248.2 KB

Geesh! Next time I bring a mop and squigee, for BOTH sides! This was the biggest aquarium I could find ... and it's a tough shoot.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-07-2008 at 02:11 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

don, I'm so sorry I didn't see your response. my cookies got messed up or something, and it wasn't one of the "updated" posts that turn bold. I appreciate your detailing the PP process and for the extra shots. It's just beautiful!

By the way, see anything like this guy?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080907/...an_green_bears
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Looks like he just took an algae bath. I didn't see your link till I started typing. I though you took that shot. LOL
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Thumbs up It happens here, too!

As a matter of fact ... I ran into my buddy the bear, and he, too, has his green algae growth ... here in Brookfield Illinois. You don't need to go all the way to Toyko, to see it.

Name:  polar-bear-9-6-08.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  305.2 KB
    Although, I will admit, that the "Toyko-bear" must not be as well cared for as ours is.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-08-2008 at 06:22 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

They need to shock the water to kill the algae. LOL
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face A lil' more bear ...

Here's some more of that bear ... which demonstrates a little more ... color?

Name:  polar-bear-9-6-08-look-away.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  310.1 KB

flickr & Sdi

wow that's crazy that you saw the same thing happening!

see what happens when zoos try to go green? turns their polar bears green!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    see what happens when zoos try to go green? turns their polar bears green!
    LOL... nice one

Polar bear fur is made of hair tubes and algae grow inside these tubes so cleaning the water or scrubbing the animal won't help much...
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

Quote Originally Posted by S_p_i_d_e_r View Post
    Polar bear fur is made of hair tubes and algae grow inside these tubes so cleaning the water or scrubbing the animal won't help much...

Similar thing happened in Singapore back in 2004 and the bear's coat was successfully bleached with hydrogen peroxide.

This is how she looks now....
    Last edited by oric1; 09-09-2008 at 08:26 AM.