Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hey thanks don! I was thinking the 17-50 might be too wide to get good closeups of the animals but makes for a good shot of the cage area (but not as good since it's obviously a zoo and not as realistic).

On a side note, do you use firefox? I use this cool plugin that lets me view the EXIF info right from the browser if it's still embedded on the pictures. I simply right click and go to properties to view all the juicy info! It's called FxIF. It can even copy and paste info too.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Unhappy The sadder side of photographic environments

After post processing, the info kind of bites the dust. I simply go back to the original shot and peel it out from the Adv. Properties of the image, in XP.

I did take a 17-50mm f/2.8 shot when I, as anticipated, went indoors (kind of).

Name:  Tropic-World copy.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  78.5 KB
    17mm - f/3.5 - 1/60 sec - ISO-400 - Spot Focus - Spot Metering - M - Natural Lighting

Unfortunately, it didn't stay on the front of the camera very long, though. Also, I encountered some serious lighting difficulties in the "Tropic World" ... which means FLASH or some really long and wide telephoto (aka 300mm f/2.8 or 400mm f/2.8). Currently, stuff like that is easily $6000. Going back will require some more calculation of the available light ... and it was getting late in the day (5:30pm).

I did rescue this shot ... but, I know it could be a lot better.
    Name:  South-America.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  414.4 KB

And the "Mandrill" was a complete disaster. He was over 50 yards away ... in the poor lighting ... and indoors, the 80-400mm has no strength, so I opted to try the 180mm f/3.5 MACRO, in the hopes of lighting it up a little.

Name:  Mandrill.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  58.3 KB
    α700 w/ TAMRON 180mm f/3.5 @ f/4 - 1/30 sec - ISO-200 - M - Spot focus - Spot Metering - Natural Light

Like a said, a definite recalc, for sure. I probably should have gone to ISO-800 ... but, I was kind of rushed and infuriated at how soft the f/3.5-shots were turning out. This was a last shot, because the crowd was getting a bit thick and they were closing all the buildings at 5:30pm.

Another day ... he's not going anywhere ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2008 at 09:36 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah I can definitely see how the lighting can be a big challenge inside in these types of places. The monkey on the vine is great. And the mandril isn't too bad either. There's probably some PP effects and filters that can clean up some noise (not sure how much). But they look great as always! And how true, they're not going anywhere
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Talking Back to the Zoo ... for a birth

On Aug 15, one of the Giraffes gave birth to a new member of their clan.

So, you guys always hound me, "How do baby giraffes sleep ... standing up, like horses?"

Name:  Baby-giraffe-asleep.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  473.0 KB

I would have to say, "No."

And you can believe "Mamma" was keeping a watchful eye on everyone. She was only about six feet away from me. This no crop!

Name:  Mammas-watchful-eye.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  358.9 KB

"Okay ..." you guys continue, "What about that mane on the back of their neck?"

Mamma's
    Name:  Mammas-Mane.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  354.0 KB

Baby's
    Name:  Babys-Mane.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  335.2 KB

Geez, guys ... anything else?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-06-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile For the birds ...

I did another parrot shot ... with the CZ 135mm f/1.8 ... which I think came out pretty well.

Name:  parrot-zoo-9-6-08.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  185.0 KB

flickr & Sdi

As I made my way over to one of my fovrite and very impressive mammals ... to my horror, I found the Tiger had become a "Bobcat!"

Chronology ...

July 1st, 2008 - hot day
    Name:  Tiger-7-1-08.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  336.3 KB

For some reason, not only had the tiger's left tooth been broken, back in late July ...

July 20th - another hot day
    Name:  Tigers-tooth.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  253.2 KB

now, his lovely, long tail ... was gone!

September 6th, 2008
    Name:  Tiger-Bobcat.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  431.4 KB

I have to "axe" you ... what the hell? This poor animal! I truly fear for his future! Body parts are disappearing at a fightening rate!

I feel like I'm documenting a disaster ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-06-2008 at 04:02 PM.

flickr & Sdi

All this in captivity. LOL What would happen in the wild. The poor tiger don't stand a chance. Did the handler have all his body parts.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

But hey, the Grizzly finally got up ...

from his summer sleep, apparently
    Name:  Grizzly-snoozin.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  456.6 KB

and took a long bath.
    Name:  grizzly-dip.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  253.4 KB

Can you imagine "all the shakin' goin' on" with this fellow?
    Name:  Grizzly-Rain-Dance.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  420.4 KB

and here I thought my Golden was bad

flickr & Sdi

damn.... I typed up a reply, but where did it go?

mmm :\

I've always wondered how a giraffe sleeps too! Well, now I know. I must say, it looks very uncomfortable in that position! Guess that's why I'm not a giraffe.....

I'm glad our tiger and bear friends are doing well . That shot of the macaw parrot is just fantastic. Dead on. The CZ did great! Is that a crop? Any PP done? Do you have a 100% crop to show the detail of the lens?
    flickr

Yeah, I PP'd to mask out some undesirable assets in the image. There was this branch that the macaws had entirely stripped of bark ... and it actually was brighter than the bird was. I tried to darkened it, but it just didn't look right ... so I vaporized it. You know the rule ... nothing brighter than the subject ... unless you are doing high-key imaging (white background). I was not using a flash, just the natural light from the roof window. The color is unenhanced, though.

I guess I can toss in the original ... but, please realize ... I like to make it look right.

Name:  parrot---unretouched-shot.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  296.9 KB

Here's another, "uncropped" - just resized image
    Name:  _DSC3462-resized.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  365.4 KB

and here's the 100% crop
    Name:  _DSC3462-100.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  465.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-07-2008 at 12:58 PM.

flickr & Sdi