Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs up What a great day for some photos

Just after lunch, I decided to blast off for "Brookfield Zoo", the Chicago suburban premiere and world-class zoo. Okay, okay ... I know we all go to these places for photographic ideas. Well, it was 90-degrees, today, and the animals ... uh, knew it. Having been much cooler in the prior few weeks, today was "back to normal" for this time of year ... but a far cry from earlier temperatures. People we commenting that the tiger (Raja) was so animated it was far from the usual sleeping kitty.

Well ... I had to admit, it was a challenge tracking him as he paraded all over his little domain, here, there .. and over there, too. Worse yet ... he looked hungry and was chewing on something on the ground. Then he looked over at me ... and this look said it all!

Name:  Lets-do-lunch.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  436.6 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840 @ 230mm - f/4.5 - 1/350 sec - ISO-400 - M - AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus

I will add more good stuff, as I process it ... LOL ... it was a good day ... too bad I got a late start.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2008 at 08:33 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face I gotta tell ya ...

After reviewing these shots, this "cat" was not pleased.

I got him actually backing himself into his pool ... like a human in a sitz bath ... to try and cool down. Now, having a dog, as I do ... when he gets out of the pool or the shower ... it is shake-city ... with water spray flying in every direction. When Mr. Kitty, here, got out ... there was no shake ... just dripping and what looked to be a very uncomfortable beast.

Name:  Gettin-in-the-pool1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  271.7 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840mm @ 100mm - f/4.5 - 1/350 sec - ISO-400 - M - AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus

Name:  Gettin-in-the-pool2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  322.5 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840mm @ 100mm - f/4.5 - 1/350 sec - ISO-400 - M- AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus

Name:  Gettin-in-the-pool3.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  305.9 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840mm @ 100mm - f/4.5 - 1/350 sec - ISO-400 - M - AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus

Name:  Gettin-in-the-pool4.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  249.2 KB

Name:  Gettin-in-the-pool5.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  299.6 KB

Name:  Gettin-in-the-pool6.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  297.2 KB

Name:  horked-off-kitty.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  300.1 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840mm @ 160mm - f/4.5 - 1/350 sec - ISO-400 - M - AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus

He then made it clear ... it was .. like time to skidaddle.

Name:  Time-to-uh-go.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  244.0 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840mm @ 160mm - f/9.5 - 1/250 sec - ISO-400 - M - AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus

Don't kid youself ... he may look small in these shots ... but, this animal is nearly ten feet long ... add another three with that tail of his.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2008 at 08:35 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool The King ...

I then made my way to the next hiding place of a big cat ... the Lion.

Name:  Mr-Lion.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  453.2 KB
    SONY α700 w/ Tokina 80-400 @ 400mm - f/9.5 - 1/250 sec - ISO-400 - Manual - AF-S - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light

Unlike the Tiger ... he found himself some decent shade, a bit of a summer breeze and basically watched the rest of us sunshine-lunatics get baked.

This was where DRO did make a difference, since our friend, here, had his big ol' paws hanging in the sunshine.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2008 at 08:37 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Unhappy Polar warmth?

The polar bear wasn't spared, either, as he raced back and forth, looking to get inside through his trap door, which was closed. He had a huge pool of cool water, which he definitely made use of and often.

Name:  Just-keep-it-coming-bartender.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  49.8 KB
    α700 w/ TAMRON 180mm f/3.5 MACRO @ f/3.5 - 1/250 sec. - ISO-400 - M - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light

But, you could easily see that he was in some anguish, not being able to retreat to the indoor frosty AC and probably also from hearing that it was not much better up north, where the ice shelf was evaporating.

Name:  I-hear-its-not-much-better-up-north.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  287.8 KB
    α700 w/ AT-X 840 @ 400mm - f/5.6 - 1/350 sec. - ISO-400 - M - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2008 at 08:38 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Unhappy The grizzled old bear ...

Yeah, the heat really beat on the Grizzly, today. He just flat gave up!

Name:  Im-sleepin-this-one-off.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  90.5 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840mm @ 150mm - f/11 - 1/200 sec - ISO-400 - M - AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2008 at 08:39 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Great shots I have been wanting to go to the Bronx Zoo before the weather got so hot. Too late for that now. LOL I will have to wait till the fall. I am going to take the grandchildren to the Cape May Zoo which is about a half hour away.
    Frrank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

So, on a lack of color day ... what has less color than the rhinosaurus?

Name:  Rhino-charge.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  382.8 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840mm @ 120mm - f/4.5 - 1/200 sec - ISO-200 - M - AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light

The white rhinosaurus, of course.

Name:  white-rhino.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  68.2 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840mm @ 150mm - f/4.5 - 1/200 sec - ISO-200 - M - AF-C - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light

These guys always trip me out ... because they look so familiar ... almost like an oversized pig, in a way ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2008 at 08:39 AM.

flickr & Sdi

The thing about zoo shots ... you get what you get. You have very limited artistry in your lighting and basically, it is just playing with the camera to try and get a decent focus and exposure of the best framed subject you can. Post processing can clean a lot of it up ... but still, they are relatively wild animals and like infants ... forget about any cooperation.

Heck, you're just lucky if they do not attack!

Which brings up this ... I ask you, what is a trip to the zoo without the regal elephant?

Name:  elephant-wlk.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  469.4 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840 @ 100mm - f/4.5 - 1/100 sec. - ISO-200 - M - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light

And when you take his picture ... remember, like in all solid portraits ... it is in the eyes!

Name:  Elephant-eyes.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  450.1 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840 @ 400mm - f/5.6 - 1/500 sec. - ISO-200 - M - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-02-2008 at 08:40 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Lest we forget ...

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The thing about zoo shots ... you get what you get. You have very limited artistry in your lighting and basically, it is just playing with the camera to try and get a decent focus and exposure of the best framed subject you can. Post processing can clean a lot of it up ... but still, they are relatively wild animals and like infants ... forget about any cooperation.

Heck, you're just lucky if they do not attack!

Which brings up this ... I ask you, what is a trip to the zoo without the regal elephant?

Name:  Affie.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  417.2 KB
    α700 w/ Tokina AT-X 840 @ 100mm - f/4.5 - 1/100 sec. - ISO-200 - M - Spot Metering - Spot Focus - Natural Light
    Well, this was "Affie" ... a 40-year old female elephant that passed away on May 15th. Normally, most elephants see roughly 33 years (both in captivity and in the wild) and they pass. "Affie" got well beyond that with the zookeeper's and attendant's assistance and care. A valued piece of history, now. Photos tell the tale.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up

Hi Don,

Your parrot shot is brillant, well done