Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I Have One Hard Drive Divided Into Folders That I Can Drag The New Pics And Drop Them Into A Matching Folder For Future Use..it Works Out Well To Find Stuff Again

Talking Don Schap = buzz kill

So Don I got a ultra III 4gb. cf card as a nice starting point with my A700, Yesterday I went to best buy, had a 12% off card for my Birthday month as a rewards zone customer. to my surprise they had memory sticks on sale, even the Sony brand name, 4gb. for the same price as 2gb. So I got a buy on a 4gb m.s. and spent all day today telling anyone who would listen how many pics I can save on the camera, and can toggle back and forth, etc. then I sit down tonight and read this, I feel somewhat "limited"
    the info. on the MR settings was very valuable, was able to gain a better understanding then from a whole chapter I read about settings over the weekend, so when do we all need to start paying you? lol

Like I said a long while back ... there is no money in this for me, it is strickly love of the game. Oh, I've been given some gratuities for some of my work ... but, the cost of the effort was always more than I ever got in return. This has been strickly "not for profit", that's for sure. If I can improve my "weapons of choice", so be it.

Obviously, a telescope, full-frame camera and a couple new lenses are on the "wish-list" and should be along pretty soon. That is going to be quite a chunk of change, all by itself ... but the results should be impressive, once I put it all together.

I am certainly glad you can benefit from my experiences and postings. Improving the understanding of this craft is important to me ... and hopefully ... all of you who read and use it. I came to contribute what I could, when I could.

Good luck to you all, as you ... lol ... develop your skill set. There's a lot of world out there ... and beyond.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-30-2008 at 09:26 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

question on settings

Don, and anyone else, I was re reading the posts on the memory recall settings and was looking at the scene selection for sports action. I had been thinking that it would be fine for my use on shooting sports, but now I am wondering. I didnt catch that it defaults and locks out other settings. "vivid" for example would seem the obvious choice to me for most sports shooting other then snow sports? Also I think I would have to make some adjustments as we get later into the year and I am shooting dusk / early dark under stadium lights "high school" And just to make things a bit more interesting my teams home soccer uniforms are all white with red lettering. Does anyone have any suggestions for a "custom" sports setting ? especialy for the later in the season conditions.

Red is usually less affect by a colorspace change than greens, cyans and blues. So sRGB will work probably as well as any other setting.

It is just something to keep in mind ... as you decide on your settings. There are definite limitations with these "Scene Selection" modes. Memory Recall is a way around these feature "lock-outs" ... but, then again, you make the call for the Mode you want to use (A, S, P, or M). You can leave ISO in Auto ... and let metering take a crack at resolving your image. The flexibility is definitely there ... and MR is just a setting shortcut, not the final solution for any shot.

Once again, experimentation leads to a much deeper understanding of the camera's operation ... just shoot and see how it turns out. Cripes, the cost is low enough. LOL You just need a "willing" subject.

Name:  MessinWithSasquatch_2.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  64.6 KB

Well ... if you can find one, that is.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 07-01-2008 at 09:19 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi