Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: unsharp images

kikilech Guest

unsharp images

Hello I have been using my Panasonic FZ20 for some months now and I am not that experienced, but most of my images come out unsharp, with a lot of motion blur in parts of the image. I have tried various settings but until now no succes.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for your advice

Fer
    Last edited by kikilech; 10-08-2007 at 07:25 AM.

Can you show any examples?

Quote Originally Posted by kikilech
    Hello I have been using my Panasonic FZ20 for some months now and I am not that experienced, but most of my images come out unsharp, with a lot of motion blur in parts of the image. I have tried various settings but until now no succes.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for your advice

Fernando
    It's hard to say specifically what you're "doing wrong" without seeing one or two examples. Do you have any you can show here? If you don't have a way of showing, you could e-mail me a couple of images at JohnReed@circuitexpert.com, and I'd be glad to put them up for all to see.
    Let a be your umbrella!

settings

What settings are you using?
    Shutter speed?
    ISO?
    Apeture settings?

What conditions are you taking the pics?

Autofocus or manual?

Unsharp Images

I also have problems with unsharp images from the FZ20 and I'm a pretty experienced photographer. Often though I find it's because I'm asking the camera to do the impossible. So, a couple of suggestions. Firstly check your camera is working properly. Set it up on a tripod or other support ( a wall will do), aim it at a good sized static subject in good light (car maybe), use without or with only modest zoom, autofocus setting should be OK, check you get focus confirmation and shoot using the self timer. Try with and without the OIS. Program mode should be OK. This will eliminate most of the usual causes of unsharp images. If you can't get a good image like that take the camera back to the shop and get it checked. Once you know its working OK then see if there are any settings or particular shooting circumstances that are giving you trouble. You'll probably find it's camera shake (try using the EVF instead of the screen, that can make a difference) or focus problems. I often find quickly grabbed shots are out of focus whereas if I relax and give the camera a little time its OK. Keep trying & let us know how you get on.

As John said it would be nice to see the photos and the exif.

But here are some things that cause me trouble and I do not know why.
    Most likely because I do not understand how to take advantage of them.

Continuous Auto focus.. I turn it off
    9 Pt auto focus ... I can not use it
    I get better results with IS mode 2
    And with the flash I can not use the anti red eye or slow sync.

I usually use spot focus and spot meter
    I understand that others find my settings strange but it is what works for me.

Experiment it is free.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Thumbs up Thanks

excellent resources, thanks for posting. Andy