Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

sony a200 newbie

Hi, I new to dslr cameras. I recently bought the sony a200. Seems nice and so far i like it. I have lots to learn though. I had a quirk this weekend about the camera though. My brother in law and i shot lots of pictures on our vacation, he has the nikon d40 and when we downloaded our pics, his seems more vibrant i guess is the word to use, more pop in his colors. He's a newbie also. why would this be? Can someone with a sony tell me of some settings i have to adjust. Im gonna look thru the manual again and see if theres something that might work. Did I make a mistake by getting the sony instead of the d40? I have a few more days to exchange it.

Don will advise you when he sees this. I would suggest you post a few images with the settings so he can see for himself what you are talking about.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Frank is correct ... w/o some type of examples ... both from the D40 and your own A200 ... it's a tough thing to compare.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ok, will do when I get home. I really appreciate it!

Question

Just mulling this over, without seeing anything:

I have to ask, what "colorspace" are you using (by default) ... or which one he may be using?

Not having a A200 to look to identify menu options ... some ideas are:

For example, on the A700 ... under "Creative Style" selection:
    Standard (this is "sRGB" on most cameras)
    Vivid
    Neutral
    AdobeRGB
    Portrait
    Landscape
    B/W

Normally, in AUTO ... this will be in "Standard" ... even if you change it, it will be restotred back to "Standard" when you turn the camera OFF and back ON, again.

Name:  Creative-selection.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  179.0 KB

Now, if you are in "AdobeRGB", in any other mode, the Gamut selection of color is much larger ...

AdobeRGB Gamut
    Name:  adobeRGB.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  44.2 KB

sRGB
    Name:  sRGB.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  43.6 KB

but, if an "AdobeRGB" colorspace image is viewed through an "SRGB" website or program, the greens, cyans and blues (GCB) will look flat and rather lifeless (just not look corrrect). If you look at the above illustrations, you will note how much less the "sRGB" triangle takes from the GCB potion of the Color Gamut.

Have you been the only one using the camera? In other words, could someone (camera shop salesperson or another customer) have changed this selection, previously, before you bought it? With other "normal" modes of camera operation (not AUTO), the Creative Style" will be left in whatever it was last set to.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-27-2008 at 09:04 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

wow, looks like u know your stuff, I could barely understand it!lol, You are right that in auto it sets to standard which is what I used to take the pics on vacation. I just found the adobe rgb setting, should i keep it on that? Here a couple pics, not very good ones but all i can get for now the top pic is mine and the bottom is his; if u need more similar pics, i can try and get some from him
    . [IMG]http://[/IMG

[IMG][/IMG]]
    Last edited by sony man; 06-27-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Your picture looks a little dark. I am o pro but I have started using Aperture mode almost all the time. I start out using f/8 turn on the Histrogram and take a couple of test shots. The Histrogram should be in the center. Check out this site http://www.llvj.com/tutorials/unders...stograms.shtml it explains all about histrograms and how they work.I am sure Don will chime in and explain it better or tell you not to listen to me. LOL Good luck and keep taking shots they will get better. I don't leave the house without my camera.
    Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Cool

On the contrary, AdobeRGB should be something you progress to ... more for printing and images you plan on keeping, long term, for yourself. There is more color description in them ... but the display device (printer and/or program) you use must be set to display AdobeRGB also.

When you post to the web, you need to bear in mind that you have to convert AdobeRGB to sRGB to keep them from looking "flat" and desaturated.

If you leave the camera on "Standard", there should be no problem with web posts. It is sRGB for everybody.

Saturation levels from the camera can also be adjusted. Normally, SONY does a pretty good job with these. I am surprised to hear you having difficulty.

Name:  004-1 rework.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  443.4 KB

Admittedly, shooting into the sun is not the best idea for imaging. It tends to silohuette your subjects ... and the auto-DRO did save some of them.

Also, a crop can do wonders at focusing the viewer's attention ...

Name:  005-1 crop.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  368.8 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-27-2008 at 08:05 PM.

flickr & Sdi

well, this weekend I will get his camera and take some pics with it, and then mine with the same pics and compare them; if its still a big difference I'll post on here and let u see them. I'll make sure our cameras are on the same settings. I thought my pics were great until I saw some of his and it bummed me out. Thanks again, and if u have anymore advice as to setting, i appreciate it.

Well, a lot of this has to do with the optic you are using. If you are sporting the "kit" lens ... that can be a real bymmer. It really lacks good sharpness and contrast, in my estimation, color is rather dismal and I, flat out, refuse to use it. Personally, I'm not waste mine or anyone else's time using it.

Once you opt for a TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8 lens, you will clearly see an improvement in what you are shooting. Doing a side by side is like day and night.

Like they say: "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

Good luck.

BTW: Pay stricter attention to leveling your horizon's. You can lose valuable image trying to straighten that simple adjustment out. Just concentrate on your framing. Use the upper edge of the viewfinder window as a guide. Try to remember: The world is flat.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-27-2008 at 08:14 PM.

flickr & Sdi