Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Just how much memory qualifies as ... too much

Today, I received my new Transcend 32 GB Compact Flash 133x card for my DSLR camera.

Name:  Transcend 32gb.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  6.2 KB

After insertion, before any shots, the α700 says that it potentially holds an amazing:

2929 Extra Fine JPEG (~10.93 MB/image), or
    5467 Fine JPEG (~5.86 MB/image), or
    8021 Standard JPEG (~4MB /image), or
    1631 RAW (19.62 MB/image), or
    2398 cRAW (~13.35 MB/image), or
    1667 cRAW & JPEG (~19.2 MB/two images), or
    1256 RAW & JPEG (~25.5 MB/two images)

I would guess that no one really shoots "Standard JPEG" or "STD" Quality with an α700 ...

Name:  go-take-some-images.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  184.6 KB

but then, just look at what you can do with a combo (either "cRAW & JPEG" or "RAW & JPEG") ... that's quite a load and amazingly practical. Admittedly, if you lose a card of this size ... Oh man! ... let the crying begin ... but, then again, why would you pull it out of the camera during a shoot? The chances of it being FULL are practically nil!

Just for fun, let's do some other math ... here's a "word problem" (okay, don't everyone run away ... I'll be gentle )

Given:
    1. The standard capacity on the α700's NP-FM500H battery is about (hopefully) 600 shots.
    2. For argument sake, you are using a Quality setting of "Extra Fine JPEG." which, according to the above chart, allows you to shoot 2929 images.

Question: How many fully charged batteries would you need to run through your α700 in order to fill the new 32GB Memory card?

Work: 2929 / 600 = ~4.5 batteries (probably more like 5 or 6).

Follow-up Question: Do you have 4.5 batteries in your camera case?

Answer: Unlikely. Which means, during the shoot, you simply cannot fill it! HAH! Told you it was easy. C'mon ... 3000 shots? LOL -> nothing is that interesting!

Honestly, if you only lost an image-packed 2GB card during a wedding shoot ... someone is going to have their @$$ in a sling, big time! I suppose it is really all just academic IF you routinely backup your work, anyway ... this one just lets you practically manage combo files, w/o having to swap CF-cards.

I think for the upcoming stuff, I'll elect a Quality-setting of "cRAW & JPEG" ... just for the fun of it and see what the workload becomes. Admittedly, it kind of sucks for high-speed work ... but, barring that ... most other stuff is fair game. I can always shoot the high-speed JPEG-only stuff on the 8GB Memory Stick PRO, in the other α700's memory slot.

I figure that MOST dedicated two-hour photographic events can range in 300-400 shots, so this might be a workable size for a vacation or the holidays.

Anyone else shooting this Quality combo-setting?

BTW: The JPEG in the combo-setting is a FINE JPEG, not an "Extra Fine JPEG."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-30-2008 at 02:21 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

yeah, best not to use it in a critical moment where all your eggs would be in that one basket, but really cool to have!

But fortunately, the a700 can have a MS slot too!

At 20MBps, that's a decent speed for a large card.

Whenever I go on vacation, I'm thinking I'll need at least another 4gb, if not an 8gig (since prices are always coming down)
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

2gb Is It For Me...

how many do you carry then? 3-4? which cards do you use (and what speed are they rated at?)

I only have a Extreme III 4GB CF rated at 30 MB/s
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Sony A700 settings

Hi Don,

Your post above reminded me that I wanted to pick your brains about what settings you normally shoot with the Sony A700. I have bitten the bullet now and am upgrading my A100 to the A700 so wanted to get an idea of how to set it up.

For example, I normally shoot RAW+JPEG with the A100 unless I am shooting sports, when I will just shoot JPEG. Is the cRAW+JPEG a good option on the A700?
    I guess I don't really understand what they are doing with RAW vs cRAW.

Are there other settings that you have changed from the default? I turned off the EyeStart stuff on my A100 because it kept activating when I didn't want it to. I also read in the DpReview article that ISO 200 is the base ISO. Is that what you normally shoot with?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Cool α700 Settings & cRAW files

cRAW is becoming a defacto standard with the new cameras. It is restricted from earlier-use because a lot of older software simply did not know how to deal with the file type/size.

The α700, departing from the restriction of the past, has included this new file type/size into its menu selection. If you do need to go to RAW+JPEG, instead (for whatever reason), you could program one of the three MR-settings (Memory Recall) in the mode knob to quickly switch over.

Name:  MR-Mode-setting.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  206.2 KB

In my own set up ... because, this is a highly personal preference, my MR is set up for:
    1. (Indoor, natural light) -> M; 1/60; f/4; EV & EF @ +/- 0; Single Shot; Multi segment metering; D-R off; ISO 400; AF-S; Spot AF Area; cRAW+JPEG; Large file; Tungsten; AdobeRGB; Sharpening +3
    2. (Outdoor, natural light) -> M; 1/60; f/4; EV & EF @ +/- 0; Single Shot; Multi segment metering; D-R+; ISO 200; AF-S; Spot AF Area; cRAW+JPEG; Large file; 5600K; AdobeRGB; Sharpening +3
    3. (Indoor, casual shot, flash) -> M; 1/60; f/4; EV & EF @ +/- 0; Single shot; Multi segment metering; D-R off; ISO-400; AF-S; Spot AF Area; X.FINE; Large file; Flash WB-1; AdobeRGB; Sharpening +3 (see example below)

Name:  MR.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  316.3 KB

The reason I normally start at f/4 is because of common lens selections. The long glass is usually f/4 or higher. If you start, right off the bat, at f/2.8 ... that doesn't leave you with much wider to go to, now does it? These are just rapid starting points for common shots.

When I go to the Airshow, though ... things really change for old MR #1 though ... as it becomes my "high-speed pass" setting.
    1. (Outdoor, "High-speed" pass) -> S; f/1000; Continuous Adv Hi>; Spot Metering; D-R+ Level 5; ISO 400; AF-C; Spot Af Area; X.FINE; Large File; 6000K; AdobeRGB; Contrast +1; Sharpening +3 (see example below) ... If you need a little more exposure ... and are out of aperture, with your α700's top, right "ISO" button, you can quickly boost the ISO to 800 or 1000.

Name:  MR-1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  193.3 KB

I, now, have to remember to switch to the "Memory Stick" ... for the JPEG-only stuff, just to keep the CF memory uniform. Although I suppose it does not really matter, as I use the "Date form" folder name for on card file management, rather than the "Standard form". So, it is a little more tidy in that way, unless you are shooting lots of shots on the same day. It also gives me a reason to make use of the Memory Stick slot. It was an unexpected "bonus?" when I bought the α700.

All I can say is "try it out" ... you can always change from the base settings. I normally do not EV-adjust until I am in the shooting situation ... leaving them (EV and EF) zeroed out, initially.

Well, there go the "trade secrets" ... LOL

I figure if I paid for it, it is getting used.

Good luck
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-30-2008 at 05:38 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hi Don,

Thanks for your very detailed explanation, I'm sure it is useful for other people here too.

Yes, I noticed that there were those MR features, I will probably set mine up similarly - with indoor, outdoor and high speed sports settings I think.

I mostly use Adobe Lightroom for the first step of my post-processing, then Photoshop CS3. I guess they can both read cRAW files now?

Thanks again.

Jonathan

Lightbulb Sports Action

One of the things I do with JPEGs, is review them first, rather than having to run through the RAW imager. I figure out which JPEG files look best, then tackle them with the RAW imager. Flow is important ... and do not tell anyone, but I'm not using Adobe Lightroom.

Remember, there are "scene selections" on the mode dial of the α700 ... one, of which, that addresses sports action.

Here's basically how it sets itself up, in that "scene":

Name:  sports-action-scene-selection.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  233.3 KB

Note that the Autofocus Mode is in "AF-C" (Continuous focusing through the sequence of shots)

Then the metering takes places and automatically sets the ISO, shutter speed and aperture, giving the widest aperture (for DOH) and supporting shutter-speed around 1/250th second. At that speed, I am assuming the camera "thinks" you will be "panning" your subject.

Also, not displayed, is the fact that the "Scene Selection" locks the "Creative Style" or colorspace from whatever you had selected (i.e., Vivid; Neutral; AdobeRGB) and makes it sRGB or "Standard", just like AUTO Mode does, except that this "side effect" is grayed out and unlike AUTO mode, you cannot change it in ANY of the "Scene Selections." So さようなら (sayonara) to lusher greens, cyans and blues. Also ... Brightness, Constast and Sharpness variables. LOL

In a way, "Scene Selections" are just glorifed "AUTO". I suppose the novice or average user would try them, probably even the graduating P&S user ... but, if they were gone, I doubt I'd even notice. I definitely would like more "Memory Recalls" instead ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-30-2008 at 05:46 PM.

flickr & Sdi

most of the problems for people and high gb is loading them to the puter..unless you have the space it takes up lots of mem just to load them up..

i like to use an external drive and load them into smaller folders for later use..doesn't bog down the sytem as bad

Good thinking ... storage management is an artform unto itself when it comes to images.

flickr & Sdi