Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ed03 Guest

a350 can't turn off flash in PASM modes!!!??

can anyone tell me if this is normal for a dslr not to have control over the flash firing in the all the basic modes?? i have just taken my first dslr out of its box and cannot believe what im reading in the manual. even a basic digicam with manual settings allows no flash in these modes. i nearly always shoot in A mode and cannot imagine not being able to use it without the flash firing and ruining natural light shots.

You do not need to turn the flash off. Don't pull the flash up, leave it in the down position. In the down position it is not powered up.

Thanks Tremelle you're right.
    Like Ed I'd read the manual , couldn't understand the logic and seen that the Flash Off was greyed out.
    I've had the camera 3 days and so far I'm very pleased with it.

Re: Flash

In P, S, A and M modes, the manual states that "Flash Off" is not selectable.

That's not true. Press the FN button, go to flash, select and from there choose no flash. It works just fine, I think the manual is a little goofy?

Cool Tech Manual issues

SONY is a pretty big company with some issues with other monster projects they been involved in. Still, it might be a good idea to offer a correction to the SONY technical team.

In the α700, there is no "OFF" selection in the "Fn" quick-menu ... just a series of "White balance" options:
    • AWB,
    • Daylight (-3 thru +3),
    • Shade (-3 thru +3),
    • Cloudy (-3 thru +3),
    • Tungsten (-3 thru +3),
    • Fluorescent (-2 thru +4),
    • Flash (-3 thru +3),
    • Custom set up (Custom 1 thru 3),
    • Color Temperature (2500K thru 9900K) & Color Filter (G9 thru M9)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-24-2008 at 02:49 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

cannot turn off flash in manual, apature, shutter modes

Somehow, as the manual states, I still can't make my shutter fire on my sony a350 dslr. any help would be appreciated. I wanted to take a sunset shot and do not want to illuminate the foreground.
    thanks
    vince

Quote Originally Posted by vincetiaspeed View Post
    Somehow, as the manual states, I still can't make my shutter fire on my sony a350 dslr. any help would be appreciated. I wanted to take a sunset shot and do not want to illuminate the foreground.
    thanks
    vince
    It's not taking any pictures? Is the subject in focus? (should be somewhere at or near infinity for a sunset landscape picture).

erm... I'm not sure I'm understanding your question.

Perhaps.... set your metering mode to spot metering, frame your shot so that you are aiming in the sky with 2/3 bright sky and 1/3 dark foreground. The camera will meter for the sky, press the shutter down. The picture will result in a dark foreground, like so.....

AND WELCOME!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

All right!! three new Sony people, welcome! all with the a350? must have been a sale. Please hang out, read up, ask questions, share stories, and post pictures it wiuld be great to add some more folks here. Tell us a bit about yourself, what you want to shoot, and the gear you have/need/want.
    ed you been a member since June, and Nippa since 2005!! come on people join in, talk to us, share with us! And welcome also Vince.Don the other day you mentioned 13 people viewing here..I found 3 of them LOL!
    Sony A700_____________Minolta AF 50mm. F/1.7
    Minolta AF 70-210mm F/3.5-4.5 Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR DiII LD Asp. [IF]
    Tamron SP AF 70-200mm. F/2.8 DI LD [IF] Macro
    Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
    Tokina AF 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5
    Tokina AF AT-X 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6
    http://flickr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    All right!! three new Sony people, welcome! all with the a350? must have been a sale. Please hang out, read up, ask questions, share stories, and post pictures it wiuld be great to add some more folks here. Tell us a bit about yourself, what you want to shoot, and the gear you have/need/want.
    ed you been a member since June, and Nippa since 2005!! come on people join in, talk to us, share with us! And welcome also Vince.Don the other day you mentioned 13 people viewing here..I found 3 of them LOL!
    I think a couple got it with the Sony Rewards card offer to get the camera at $450 tax/shipping included, a steal really!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

That's where I got mine. I am one of the new too.

Jordan
    Sony Alpha 350
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70 f/4
    Tamron 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Xr Di LD Aspherical Macro

My Flickr Page