Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face Oops ... color management

Using the white sampling dropping in "Curves" can provide several shifts in White Balance, depending on what color bit gets selected ... so you often need to do several samples, but remember to look away from the screen, as you do this ... as you eyes will quickly adjust themselves. You have to "clear or neutralize them" to pick up color shifts, by looking elsewhere, them back to the screen.

That's why you really need to "Color Manage" your system (Camera, PC, Printer, scanner). The color measuring device does what your eyes simply cannot. I'll bet you that if we had our monitors sitting side by side, you would immediately see a color shift between the two, of the very same image ... and therein lies the real problem. In fact, I will go so far as to say everyone's monitor, that doesn't properly color manage, would probably have a good variety of color-shifts among them.

Since you are probably not doing serious prints ... you can get away with just getting a colorimeter for your monitor. This will nearly automatically correct the shifts and get you (and anyone else) more "in the ballpark."

Now, I know some will argue "Oh, I don't need that", but if you have already invested in Photoshop to correct your images ... you sure do. Monitor-level management is really not that costly ... and personally, I cannot see spending alot of time editting images if you are not doing it correctly. The machine simply is not "tuned up", yet, without color management.

Think of it like this ... the monitor is out of the box ... set up to some unknown standard (maybe). You need to assure that what it is that you are producing is "set" to what everyone else should be seeing. Those who color manage ... DO see it correctly. Those who don't color manage ... are seeing whatever!

I kind of "goofed" when I made my earlier adjustments, as of last week, one of my monitors failed and I had replaced it, w/o taking the time to sit down calibrating it (Cardinal rule violation - BUZZ!). DOH! Anyway, I have since run the calibration and the color management has been installed.

Here is the new "color-managed correction" ... just quickly looking at, don't stare, look away for a moment, then back at the screen, and please tell me what color-shift you are seeing in it.

Name:  NicoleAngelena new base.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  284.9 KB

Anyway, click on the red-colored link ... and tune that puppy up! This is the most economical device that actually works quite well. Then, making subtle color adjustments makes some sense. I apologize if my recent changes were slightly off, but I know we are on the right track with this. The real problem lies in no matter how correct it is, you will never correctly see it ... UNTIL you color manage your own monitor. Until then, we are speaking two different color languages. Think of the colorimeter as "the interpreter."

Honestly, they don't make this stuff not to use it ... and it definitely LEVELS our photographic "playing field." Call it "first things first."

Once again, if you're using MS Photoshop or other image correcting software for your images ... every member needs to at least start with a "Huey" (routinely - twice a month) to meet the minimum level of correction.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-24-2008 at 09:41 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi