Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Smile Fast Moving Objects

I am going to the Canadian Grand Prix this weekend and am taking my Canon 40D with me. I need some advice on how to take snaps of the cars that are moving so fast. I think the problem would be focusing on the car and not on the background. Also, should a tripod be used for better photos?

Thanks.

Not sure if you're wanting the "panning" effect, but maybe this can help you.

http://digital-photography-school.co...ving-subjects/
    Canon 40d | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50 f/1.4

Just far enough from London to be in the countryside
    Track the car from as far away as possible. Pre-focus on where you want to take the photo, and half press the shutter button. Don't stop tracking until you know you've got the shot. Using a tripod will improve stability and if you have any motion control- 2 or 3 directional panning, this will get better shots.
    It's not about how expensive your kit is, it's about the skill and dedication of the photographer, the emotion in every shot, and whether or not the little bugger moved before I pressed the shutter.

Picasa Web Albums

Just far enough from London to be in the countryside
    Oh yes, and what lens are you using? is it stabilised and can you disable horizontal stabilisation- My Leica Vario Elmarit lets me turn off stabilisation in certain directions for panning shots.

^
    Stabilised < Not stabilised >
    v
    It's not about how expensive your kit is, it's about the skill and dedication of the photographer, the emotion in every shot, and whether or not the little bugger moved before I pressed the shutter.

Picasa Web Albums

It has been years since I was at the Canadian GP. In addition to panning you should look for spots where the cars will head straight towards you as they hit the apex of a corner or are exiting. This will let you catch them at a slowish moment. When they are heading into the camera you can more easily stop the action with a high shutter speed and no panning. I seem to recall that there are very few infield corners that will give you a good opportunity. I also recall that the spectators are fairly close to the straight aways which will make panning difficult at F1 speeds.

Im surprised that nobody asked what lens is he going to be using ?

1. Put Your 40d into "AI Servo" focus mode and forget about prefocusing. This option will let You focus "on the fly" while You pan the camera from one object to another - Canon has put this option into Your camera so You can take sharp photos of moving objects without pre-focusing.

2. Use shutter speeds of at least 1/500s. Put Your 40d into "shutter priority" mode and set the shutter to 1/500s. If its a realy bright day and You have a bright lens You can use 1/1000s or even higher and You will have cristal clear sharp photos...that is if Your lens doesnt suck which I doubt. BTW, what lens will You be using ?
    Canon 40d, Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L IS.