Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally upgraded but slow learning!

Well I finally jumped for a DSLR to replace my FZ20. I just couldn't resist the Olympus E510 twin lens deal now the new model is out. Was it a mistake?don't know yet, is it an improvement, yes in some areas not sure in others so have managed to hold on to the FZ so far just in case. Will post thoughts on the camera when I've had it more than a few days but attached is one of the better shots I've managed to get so far. BUT guess what I forgot to do, yes change the WB from some inside shots I was trying hence the blue rabbit Haven't graduated to RAW yet so I'm afraid this is jpg. Anyway I've tried to fix this in PP but just can't seem to get anything that looks right. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to change the WB from tungsten to sunny on a jpg image in PP for someone who is learning slowly. The learning is fun though if a little frustrating at times like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Actual colours

Just to show what the colours should look like I shot this a bit later. He wasn't very happy then though as you can see so I had to corner him to get this still shot.

Congratulations on your new DSLR! You know we'll expect even greater things from you now
    What PPprogram are you using?
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Phil, if you are using Photoshop, I suggest you convert your image to CMYK. Then you can adjust the yellow, magenta, cyan and black independently. Dont forget to convert back to RGB so you can continue to post.
    Last edited by Bynx; 06-06-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Depending on your software the first thing to try is to set a decent white point. In most software you will be able to sample a spot that should be white and automatically use that to rebalance the color. Your rabbit seems to have some large white areas.

I didn't try too hard so I did not get the rabbit tan enough. I just used curves and grabbed white points and black points individually for red, blue and green. It at least got the rabbit to be believable.

Hey thanks everyone I'm certainly having fun. Extra pressure eh Toriaj perhaps I should have kept quiet & just posted a few shots when I'm used to the new toy. Only kidding, for PP I got Elements 6 for Christmas & was dabbling with that. Haven't got much past the auto fixes yet though hence not being able to do much with my daughter's blue rabbit. Unfortunately the weather has not been brilliant here since I got the camera so not been out with it properly yet. On the days it has been nice I've been at work Still it's given me time to read the manual Bynx & kgosden thanks for your efforts & advice they were much better than I managed. You showed me it can be done so I'll keep trying thanks.

Congratulations on your new camera.
    Don't worry, once you get to know your camera you will find it is an improvement in almost any way.

An easy way to adjust whitebalance on Jpeg files is by using colour balance.
    To warm up an image, you can slide the cyan red slider towards red and the yellow blue slider towards yellow by an equal amount.
    To warm up your image (where the colours are extremely cool, you can slide the cyan red all the way to red (+100) and the yellow blue all the way to yellow (-100). That will get you close, but you may need even more.

Cooling down an image works the same, but then the other way around.
    The magneta-green slider can be used to correct colour cast from certain types of light.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Just far enough from London to be in the countryside
    I just pressed 'I'm feeling lucky' in Picasa (One step fix) and got this:
    Name:  P6020324WBissue.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  140.4 KB
    It's not about how expensive your kit is, it's about the skill and dedication of the photographer, the emotion in every shot, and whether or not the little bugger moved before I pressed the shutter.

Picasa Web Albums

Just far enough from London to be in the countryside
    Actually, looking at it with hindsight, It might have been better to do it with some proper editing software
    It's not about how expensive your kit is, it's about the skill and dedication of the photographer, the emotion in every shot, and whether or not the little bugger moved before I pressed the shutter.

Picasa Web Albums