Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Just far enough from London to be in the countryside

'Shafts' of Light?

Has anyone here ever got a decent photo of shafts of light coming through clouds or the windows of a building? I've tried but it never comes out right.
    I figured you might need a really dusty room, or a day with a high pollen/pollution count to get it. Any advice?
    It's not about how expensive your kit is, it's about the skill and dedication of the photographer, the emotion in every shot, and whether or not the little bugger moved before I pressed the shutter.

Picasa Web Albums

When you are outside build a very small smoky fire. That creates very nice illuminated beams through the trees.

I assume the sun has to be at about 45 degrees- not evening, early morning or night.

Is there any way to get streams of light from clouds- any filters, lens coatings etc.?
    It's not about how expensive your kit is, it's about the skill and dedication of the photographer, the emotion in every shot, and whether or not the little bugger moved before I pressed the shutter.

Picasa Web Albums

Smoke, fog, dust, whatever...should be backlit for best effect.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Try squirting an aerosol into the room - something with largeish molecules.

Now in Newburyport, MA, After stays in CT; CA; MN.

Shafts of light ...

I have had some nice effects using window blinds at varying degrees of light.

John

You could try light filtered through window blinds; nice effect for some subjects.
    John

Sorry for duplication; do not get "quick reply" confirmation from Moz!illa

How about this ??? This was taken in India...I see similar scenes in Michigan a lot...Unfortunately I don't have my camera around at those times....

That's pretty good. I found this vid- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Wh8OtJ1JU look at the first 1.5 seconds for a great effect.

Picasa Web Albums