Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony Accidental Warranty for A300 Worth it?

Been browsing this forum for a little while now and really like everything I've read and the reviews at DCRP!

I just got a A300 last month from Circuit city for $499 (great deal! ) and am now thinking about purchasing a service plan extended warranty for the camera. Specifically, one that includes the accidental damage from handling.

I just got off the phone with Sony and plans for my camera are as follows:

2 year accidental - $69.99
    3 year accidental - $89.99
    4 year accidental - $99.99
    Is it worth it to purchase one of these (thinking of 4 year one)? I remember circuit city wanted $140 for 2 years accidental for their 3rd party warranty.

Sony (on the phone) said it covered drops and spills on the camera, and may or may not cover drops in the water, and not getting attacked by a bear (using the camera in self defense, lol). I would like to have the peace of mind to be able to take the camera wherever and take more pictures so that's the main reason I am considering the warranty.

Anyone think it's worthwhile at these prices? And if you've had to do repairs in the past with your camera, what was wrong and how much was the repair?

Thanks.
    Last edited by dr4gon; 06-02-2008 at 09:02 PM.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Personally, I'd be happier to cover just the lenses, but people do drop their camera bodies, that's for sure. Like any insurance plan ... it's usually ONLY useful ... when you need it. You have to then ask ... Do you NEED it?
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

That's what scares me , looks like I will go ahead and get it tomorrow. Thanks for your input.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II