Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

shedding some light

o.k. some background and history check I have the following report. Millenium camera is a member of the broadway photo family as of Dec. 2007, this includes broadwayphoto, bwayphoto, cameratopia regalcamera, and at least 6 other "companies" all of which are on the "BAD" list in the forums, and are also listed at www.sheddingsomelight.com There are BBB complaints on file against ALL of the company names associated, and some federal complaints as well. anon. domain owners, same addresses for different people. I might still call tehm and see, but it sounds like the standard bait and switch no stock efraud that is all over the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by seanhoxx View Post
    o.k. some background and history check I have the following report. Millenium camera is a member of the broadway photo family as of Dec. 2007, this includes broadwayphoto, bwayphoto, cameratopia regalcamera, and at least 6 other "companies" all of which are on the "BAD" list in the forums, and are also listed at www.sheddingsomelight.com There are BBB complaints on file against ALL of the company names associated, and some federal complaints as well. anon. domain owners, same addresses for different people. I might still call tehm and see, but it sounds like the standard bait and switch no stock efraud that is all over the east coast.
    The price did seem to be a little too good to be true and I did notice that they seemed to have a lot of the same accessories as broadwayphoto.

I wonder how dbuys.com is? They have the camera for $1139.00.

They seem semi-legitimate from their resellerratings.com reviews.

Does anyone have any tips on a good price from a good shop?

Okay ... bail. Do not get involved in the Brooklyn Triangle. Money seems to get lost (or seriously delayed) in there. Returns are just impossible. Warranties ... the stuff of fable and myth. Welcome to "Grey Market"

I apologize for the thrill of the drill ... but $800 did look sweet. The weird thing that SONY is being sued for "price-fixing" in France. France apparently does not like monopolistic financial plans in their country, with implicit threats from SONY of slow delivery and other penalties for non-compliance by SONY retailers. B&H and Adorama have already caved with several SONY lenses sudddenly going up in price for no apparent reason.

Previously, the plan is to hold the line on the discounting of the A700 ... in an effort to promote the Introductory-Alpha line.

Regardless of the body you put it on, that third-party glass looks better and better, all the time. Make mine TAMRON!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-08-2008 at 08:23 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The saga continues

The search for MY a700 starter kit goes on, it has been a busy week! Seems that not only are the name stores holding the Sony line on prices but the a700 is NOT the easist camera in the U.S. to locate. I have a friend who has a friend who is tight with a "big shot" with Best Buy here in Ohio, any way a phone call was made, a few emails exchanged and he has found "the last remaining a700 east of the Missisppi in a B.B. on the east coast. His store cost is $1162, will have it shipped to his B.B about 50 miles from from me and sell it to me for $1199 with the hopes I will "consider extended warranty, memory, accessories, etc" from his store in the future. I think I am going to do it, and then bite the bullet and order Tamron 17-50, and 70-300 from B&H with the bill me later plan bring my quest to a end, and start shooting, I know I have a learning curve to overcome, and figure the more i shoot and "fiddle with the knobs" things will start to make sense Any advice on filters for the 2 lenses? basic UV, a CP for the 300? what else? Hoya 3 piece kit? If any one is interested I could put up a post about my quest, and the "anti-sony" feeling out there. as always thanks much, and more questions will be on the way! Sean

Filterwise: UV's are a toss up ... personally, I take them off before I go shooting. I basically use them as pseudo-"lens caps", to keep the fingerprints off the primary lens element.

The "CP" is only really useful if you are shooting against water or the sky. Remember, a circular polarizer gobbles up a little more than one f-stop of light ... so indoors it is probably an avoidable mistake and, normally, just leave it off your lens.

Forget "FL" or fluorescent filters, as White Balance or Photoshop will adjust for that.

A good filter to invest in is a half-ND or a graduated. This allows you to take bright skies behind your subjects and still eek out a decent exposure of them, without a flash. Below isn't the best example I ever had, but it will give you a simulated idea of how you can preserve your sky with a half-ND approach.

Without 1/2-ND filter
    Name:  the-beach-bright.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  219.7 KB

With 1/2-ND filter
    Name:  the-beach-bright-w-half-ND.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  338.8 KB

Believe me, there are better examples.

Of course, if you "solarize" ...

Name:  the-beach-solarized.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  345.8 KB

you get the creepy-looking skies we've been seeing in the midwest, these days, just before an entire town goes skyward and the obligatory calls are made to the insurance companies.

I'm sure you will do quite well with the two lenses you have chosen to purchase. You will know if you need something else, pretty soon after shooting these.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-08-2008 at 08:58 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Wow

love the solarised shot, looks creepy and otherworldly! may just get a low end UV filter for protection see how it goes. I will also be following your suggestions Don and picking up a Sigma 10-20 mm ultra wide zoom in Sept. of this year. Will try and learn what all the camera can do before trying to learn what else I can do by playing with filters, one step at a time eh.
    thanks
    Sean

Well, I would consider what you CANNOT get with a 17-50mm before you dive into a 10-20mm. That's usually a $500 lens that doesn't get nearly the use a 70-200mm f/2.8 might. In otherwords, that $500 might be better spent elsewhere, unless you are planning on doing architectural photography or group shots.

flickr & Sdi

I see your point

I should work on developing skill with the camera, and see what and how well I do with the 17-50 and the 70-300 before I start making plans. see what I am actualy shooting and where another lens would be of need and go from there. But I have tucked away the 10-20 wide, and the 50mm 1.4 prime as contenders in the next time I buy list. Don once again thank you so much for all the time and information. I have learned more from this site and the forums here then all the other online research and reading I have done over the last 6 mo. If I become annoying please just let me know.
    Sean

Lightbulb The "Total Bag" ...

Asking for assistance on the site is what it is all about ... and I rather doubt anyone would refuse such a request. The interest is "better photography" and to avoid getting roped into buying something you really don't need at the moment. Salespeople have a lot of fun getting you to buy unnecessary equipment ... it's their job. On here, though, a lot of us have already gotten "burned", so to speak, so we are coming at this from a completely different approach ... practicality.

Certain aspects of photography are brief needs ... and it is nice if you have the resources to cover these occasional "weird" shots, but for the most part ... you can usually work around them. As your financial aspects improve and you can set aside more money for these small issues, then you do so.

Most folks come and say, "Hey, I have $1000 for a DSLR and I want to shoot the world."

Unfortunately ... that might get you a decent body and a "kit" lens, but not much else. Practically speaking, running the cash register ... let's take a look at the cost of a "decent" camera bag full of the average stuff, based on the SONY A700 (If you are serious about this, you start with this camera, not the introductory ones) (It is assumed the 70-200mm f/2.8 will eventually replace your introductory 70-300 f/4-5.6):

Item . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Cost
    • SONY A700 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1150
    • UWA lens (10-20mm, 11-18mm, 10-24mm) . . . 500 – 700
    • 17-50 f/2.8 (Working lens – indoor/outdoor) . . . 425
    • 70-200 f/2.8 (Superior Telephoto) . . . . . . . . . 700
    • 70-300 f/4-5.6 (Intro-Telephoto) . . . . . . . . . . 180
    • 200-500mm f/5-6.3 (Super-telephoto) . . . . . . . 800
    • PRIME (low light lens) 50mm f/1.4 . . . . . . . . . . 330
    • PRIME/MACRO (portrait lens) 90mm f/2.8 . . . . . 400
    • Electronic Flash (HVL-F56AM) . . . . . . . . . . . . 400

So, just for argument sake ... does that really look like a $1000 investment?

No, this is actually the "cheaper side" of the DSLR game, with relatively decent, but not the expensive glass. A good flash to keep up with it, too. There have been no costs included for filters, bags, batteries, memory cards, or other odds and ends. Even w/o that stuff, it rings in at close to $5000. That's the cost of a standard DSLR that can shoot from 10-500mm, indoors and outdoors, and give you Portrait and MACRO. Believe me when I say that there are many who are well in excess of this rather "conservative" bag of glass.

If you want the really good glass to shoot through, you can add about $1000 per lens to do so, except or the super-telephoto. That ticket price for a 200-500mm f/2.8 lens is $24,000. You also might want to get a wagon to haul it around it, too, because it also weighs in at 33 lbs.

Name:  200-500-f28-big.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  80.4 KB

If you are thinking you can do it cheaper than that nominal $5000 ... your photography will show it. The last time we went through this exercise, it cost roughly $6500. Remember, this is just the cost of equipment (using mostly third-party lenses), with no software, computer or printer costs.

So, dig deep and ... uh, welcome to the club.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-09-2008 at 06:14 PM.

flickr & Sdi

a700 on the way

"MY" a700 will be leaving the back room of a Best Buy in virginia on Thursday morning, I don't know why Thursday, it just is Will be ordering tamron 17-50 and the 70-300 from whoever has the best price/shipping/payment set up of the "excellent" rated dealers. Most likely B-H on Friday Morning. Some one said I should wait till Sunday night and see if there are new sales?? Can't imagine that big of difference.
    I can't belive I have done it Time to cut back on that Irish whisky and single malt scotch hobby that I enjoy so much - damn it!! I also won't be supporting the grape growers in that small valley along the Mosel river in Germany as actively as I used to. Ahh but it's all good! at least now I have something other then a empty bottle after spending the money!!
    { takes a deeeep breath and steps into the DSLR zone}

The ONLY thing I need now is: a signature line, a tag line phrase, a flickr acct. a DCRP I.D. badge, some filters, a good flash, extra battery pack, extra memory, cleaning kit, more glass, a cool vest with all those pockets " I could use the black one that says SHERIFF on it, maybe not" a cool hat.................
    Umm you guys know I'm just kidding there with the last part right?