Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Cool Inflating your passion ...

PP = Post processing.

The moon was actually on the rise, in the evening, sun still up, over Red Rocks Amphitheater, when I took it. The pillar looked beautiful, but the moon came out kind of small, though. It's a quarter million miles away!

Several people around me saw my technique with the tripod and the skyward shot, noting the moon's position ... and I resolved the aspect problem, when I reached back into the magic camera bag, quickly changed lens from the 17-50mm to my 80-400mm, zoomed out to 400mm and got it, again, without moving the tripod or camera.

This is the "resized" original shot:

Name:  resized-original-moonshot.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  265.1 KB
    EXIF: 20mm - f/19 - 1/45 sec - ISO-200 - Manual Mode - Light Source="Nature"

Not nearly as ... impressive. This is the honest perspective. When you actually look up though, your eyes play tricks on you ... and it does seem larger. I simply took that intent and made it ... "real?"

When I got back to Des Plaines, to edit and review my stuff, I clipped out the moon from that 400mm shot, as I had intended, and pasted it into the original, in the very same spot ... only it now looks a bit ... closer. Maybe only 50-thousand miles away. Can you imagine the tides from such an orbit?

Please forgive me my creative trespasses, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-13-2008 at 12:14 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I just pulled the trigger on an Ebay buy it now of a new in box A700. If I don't get scammed the final price was $973.16.

All of Don's posts are really making me want that Tamron 17-50, but I think I will have to wait!

aha! now I see how ya did it!

Thanks. That's very clever!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Again, it comes down to composition. When you are given lemons ... going ahead and making lemonade.

We have tools to create greater interpretation of beauty from the most natural beautiful, so why not? Embellish that which does not offend.

Knowing what your tools can do is perhaps more important to construction than the actually plan itself. Engineers may have the concept, but the craftsman have the experience and technique for the final fit.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

almost in my hands!

my new a700, not your moon Don, but I might say it looks close enough to hold in your hand. LOL very nice work, I saw that the first time you put it up. {makes note to self to ask Don lots of questions about PP}
    anyway got the call this afternoon my a700 is locked in the office of a Best Buy about 50 miles from me, can't go get it today "friday" can't go Saturday as I am working a 10 hr. shift directing traffic to help pay for this new adventure. maybe Sunday. $1199.00 out the door, not bad for "the last a7oo in Best Buys inventory" would still have loved to got a deal in a triple figure, but oh well. I am a rewards zone customer. They have a no interest for 2 yrs. on purchases over $999.00 till the end of June, so looking to add on a extra battery, some memeory, any advice on C.f. card over memory stick? maybe a bag also. extended warranty including accidental damage 4 yrs. for $160.00 have to read the fine print and see exactly what that means, any comments on that?
    Takes deep breath and focuses, trying not to be to giddy...................

You will get over the giddiness ... believe me, when reality of it all settles in. You are embarking on a very fruitful, yet initially pricey venture.

Once you have the base level lens set ... then it settles down a bit. Anyway, I personally use a 16 GB Transcend CF card and a SONY 8 GB Memory Stick PRO, together. That allows me to toggle back and forth with JPGs on one card and RAW files on another. My way of keeping things sorted out.

I'm not saying its the best, but it works.

flickr & Sdi

same old question answered

I picked up my a700 on Sunday afternoon, ordered my lenses from B + H today, charged up the batteries, ready to get shooting!!
    guess i will have to start a new post as questions come up eh. My advice is do your homework, know what you need, consider the price of what you really want, and if it is doable, go for the higher end. and concerning lenses just go ahead and order from B+H or Adorma and be done with it. can't wait to start playing

Thumbs up Best wishes with your answer

One other aspect to all this, from the "What it's Worth" department of Schap Photography:

Study art ... then do it.

You can learn a lot from reviewing the work of others ... then use the utmost compliment: try to reproduce it.

Honestly, there is not a lot more to "invent" with the tools we have ... but, a lot to perfect for ourselves. Invention usually happens when we step outside of the bounds we have been given ... and approach the issue in a whole new way.

Good luck with your new tool ... may it provide you the results you seek.

flickr & Sdi