Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Help with camera selection.

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. - $150-225.

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    I'm looking for a compact or subcompact

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 7 -8 megapixels

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) Standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10

Do you care for manual controls? yes

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? indoors - people, some landscapes

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? - maybe 8 by 10inches

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? maybe 50%

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? not a lot

Are there particular brands you like or hate? like canon & nikon
    Are there particular models you already have in mind? Canon powershot 720 / Canon pwershot 590 . Really looking for high quality image.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

would like image stablization

You've identified 2 of the three models that are under $200, have manual controls, and have IS. The last is the Panasonic LZ8. Slightly more expensive (if you find a good deal) are the Canon SX100, Nikon P60, and Fuji F50.

Of those I like the A720, but I'd also like to look at the P60 - I haven't seen reviews of it yet. The A720 is a solid choice.

Greater Vancouver
    Received an A720 the other day. So far looks rather solid and takes good images. It is slightly smaller and more compact than the 4-AA battery carrying A610 that it replaces.

Thanks for the help. How would you compare the image quality of the canon sx100 to the 720?