Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

s6000fd with polarizer

Hello everybody,

I today have just bought a polarizing filter (58mm circular) for my s6000fd.
    Until now I have had almost identical results when comparing with/without the filter photos.

This is the filter itself > http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ext%3E58MM.htm
    something tells me that the filter is cheap as its only 8-GBP. It does not remove any reflections and outside sunny photography is identical.
    I have tried all tips (give the sun a 45 degree angle when its low, when its high your on the horizon but nothing. Even indoors the reflections persist.
    I have uploaded two photos of a bottle to make a comparison and ask for your help for the matter, could it be that the filter is just faulty and doesn't work?

With the filter

Without the filter

Your replies are highly appreciated and thank you very much!

anybody? ,

Well I've never heard of that brand so i cant comment on the quality of the glass but I'm not sure if you're using it properly. I've never tried to use one indoors but for outdoors the difference can be dramatic. You need to have your light over your shoulders to get the best results. A 45deg angle off the subject works best in my experience but I've went as far as 90deg angle from the sun and got decent results.
    I use this filter to bring out the deep blue of the sky and i also use it on shots involving water. It brings out the true color of the water and helps tone down the reflections from the sun but it won't remove them completely.
    I would like to see a couple shots from outside before I can comment further, preferably a with / without filter set of shots of the same subject.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

I wouldn't expect much for 8 quid - it's almost certainly uncoated, so you'll have to be careful with flare. Your example shots don't show much - they're obviously not taken from exactly the same position. I wouldn't expect to see much polarisition with an indoor light source anyway.

I use a Hoya circular polariser with my S9500 with excellent results. You should see dramatic change in the contrast of white clouds against blue sky as you rotate the filter.

I have the hoya polarizer filter......what I dont understand is the spinning of it. How do I know if I have it "Spun" in the right directions? I bought it to use out doors at the pool.
    Also with the extra filter on will it slow down the reaction of the camera? or is that a dumb thought?

You rotate the filter until you see the effect you want in the viewfinder (or live view screen). As P_Shneider said, you'll see the strongest effect on the blue sky with the Sun to your side, and very little with it directly in front or behind you. Reflections depend more on the specific conditions - you'll have to try it and see.

A circular polarising filter reduces the light by about a couple of stops, so may slow autofocus response slightly. However, a linear polariser may stop AF and metering from working altogether.

There is slight difference in colours between the 2 images. As others already said, to test the effect of polariser you have to do in bright sunlight which is the real purpose of such filters.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB