Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Taking pictures from a moving car

What is the best way of taking pictures from a moving car.

There are several problems...

1) a window (at least some of the time)
    2) the speed of the vehicle
    3) moving distance between camera and object.

I am new to photography but cant find anything about this anywhere.

Is it ebst to set camera to auto (I have a Fuji8100 ) or should I do it manually. I guess a fast shutter speed would be necessary, but how fast?

Any tips welcome
    Thanks

If you are after the wheel and background blur then you don't want a super fast shutter. Try between 1/60 and 1/200.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    If you are after the wheel and background blur then you don't want a super fast shutter. Try between 1/60 and 1/200.
    He's taking a picture from a moving car, not of one. It really depends on what's in the foreground. Fast shutter speed doesn't matter too much if you are far away from your subject, although a fast shutter will help reduce vibrations from the car.

No problem shooting objects in front of the car as they approach. Taking from the side is a different matter. Center your subject while its still in front then pan with the subject until its beside you and click the shutter, while continuing to pan with the subject. You should get a sharp image with 'moving' background. It takes a bit of practice, but easy to get onto. And use the fastest shutter speed you can.

Aha

Bynx - that is exactly what I was trying to do.
    Going on holiday soon and travelling through France where there are some great roadside shots to be had (went same place last year, in case you were wondering!).
    But only get one chance to take the pic.

Just one thing - what is deemed to be fast? My camera takes 4 secs to 1/2000.
    Is something like 1/250 what I would need??

The faster the shutter speed the sharper the edges of the object you are shooting. The faster shutter speed will kill your camera shake as well as your panning motion. If the light available will let you shoot at 1/2000 got for it. Otherwise shoot as fast as you are able.

Bynx said what I would have said. I'll add this: clean your windows frequently, it doesn't take very many exploded bugs to ruin your pictures.

Have you try panning!
    I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history. I started taking photos at an early age (15 years old) of my life with a Lubitel, a Russian twin lenses camera.

k o m b i z z

not to hijack the thread but what about reflections on the window that shows in the image
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

Just far enough from London to be in the countryside
    I use a beanbag over an open window to rest the camera on, and never take images in the foreground at slower than 1/100s. However
    ALWAYS SECURE THE CAMERA TO THE CAR- you don't want to lose it going over a bump in the road.