Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Jeff K's A200 review & Q about NR

Hi everyone,

This forum seems a little cozier than DPreview. I wasn't able to get an answer, but does anyone here have enough experience with the A200 yet to describe some of the issues with the aggressive NR Jeff mentions?

This camera came down yet again. The price of the kit lens and battery alone are $200 and $70 (and can be used with glee on or in an A700), leaving you to pay $230 for the body, as it currently stands. at this price, are people really expecting the performance of a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III...?

It's a brush up, then backup tool for most of us, as we save for the mighty A700 and work our way up skillwise. You even know the workarounds if the NR is such a problem. I don't think this review should discourage photo students looking for an inexpensive option either.

cant you just turn NR off ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb Just some NR stuff

The α100 has the option of shutting it off.

The α700 has two NR settings ... one is for long exposure (On/Off) and the other for High-ISO (High-Normal-Low), so I am assuming it is always "On" with this control ... just varies in degree.

According to the User Manual, for the α200 ... on page 110:

Name:  a200 NR.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  47.5 KB

That should answer a few questions.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-09-2008 at 07:08 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    According to the User Manual, for the α200 ... on page 110:

Name:  a200 NR.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  47.5 KB

That should answer a few questions.
    Hey Don,

Yes, definitely does. Is this operationally true for JPEG as well as RAW, and if so, do you figure Jeff Keller didn't know before he finished the review...? He paints a pretty poor picture of JPEG performance above certain ISO settings b/c of the NR for the A200.

If it's just a matter of making a menu selection, I personally don't find it a big deal to go a little deeper into the menu to get what you want. And in any case, I suppose re-learners and students should be glad of the chance to post-process RAW experience, however...

I know you are one of the Sony honchos around here. Any other advice to use the A200 in preparation of an eventual transition to the A700 would be most welcome.

SAM

perhaps for jpeg you cant fully turn it off. sounds unusual. anyway, big deal, shoot in raw.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Lightbulb Stop at the top ... they just had a price drop

Personally ... I suggest going straight for the α700 ... and ignore using the α200 altogether. You'll be a lot happier with the control you will have and the rather nice results it puts out.

SONY just lowered the price of the α700 by $200, this week. You should be able to get it, somewhere, for under a grand.

Good luck ... the images are waiting.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don, thanks for advice, but...

Too late, already took the plunge. I know that (like everything else in the megapixel wars) the A700 too, will continue to fall in price. My A200 will then become a nice backup that happens to be able to use the same lens and batt as the A700, and any Sonolta flash between them.

I can almost guarantee I'm not ready skillwise for A700, and I'm on a fairly restrictive budget. Meaning I have to prioritize the lenses I need versus an A700 body, in some kind of order. I don't take pictures for a living, so I decided the better body would have to wait until I get the funds.

SAM

PS. Any other advice to use the A200 in preparation of an eventual transition to the A700 would still be welcome.
    Last edited by SonyAlphaMale; 05-09-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: line correction