Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

5D, Old Glass, & Crabapple Blossoms

Had been giving some thought to aquiring a Canon 135mm soft focus prime lately and thought I'd try mounting an old Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 on the 5D just to see what it was capable of. This was shot at 1/400sec @ f/5.6 ISO 200. The first is the FF image and then a 100% outcrop. No corrections other than a minimal amount of sharpening.

Mark.....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

i've always wondered: what's with the soft focus?
    Canon Powershot S3 IS
    Canon EOS 40D + Battery Grip BG-E2N | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | 580EX II |
    Flickr - blentley
    CSC

Nice. Pentax glass is some of the better stuff available...especially at its price!
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Nice. Pentax glass is some of the better stuff available...especially at its price!
    I got this lens in Okinawa back in the late '60's along with a Spotmatic (still works) with the 50mm f/1.4 and a Takumar 200mm f/4. Wish I could remember what I paid back then. I sometimes have a hard time just remembering last week.

I like using these old lenses, but the downside is manually focusing. The old Pentax has a microprism screen that made it fairly easy. I've thought about swapping the 5D's screen out, but I've read that any lens beyond f/2.8 is kinda dark in the veiwfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by nism View Post
    i've always wondered: what's with the soft focus?
    It's effect that Photoshop can do. The lens supposedly has a reputation for being sharp is why I was considering it.

See the examples at the bottom of this page...
    http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/...oft-focus-lens

Good reviews here...
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...7&cat=2&page=1
    Hmm, a name there looks familiar....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_48 View Post
    It's effect that Photoshop can do. The lens supposedly has a reputation for being sharp is why I was considering it.
    True, but they say that you can't quite get the same effect in PP. We should ask Peter.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

I got this lens in Okinawa back in the late '60's along with a Spotmatic (still works) with the 50mm f/1.4 and a Takumar 200mm f/4. Wish I could remember what I paid back then. I sometimes have a hard time just remembering last week.

I like using these old lenses, but the downside is manually focusing. The old Pentax has a microprism screen that made it fairly easy. I've thought about swapping the 5D's screen out, but I've read that any lens beyond f/2.8 is kinda dark in the veiwfinder.
    I peruse the "alternative gear" forum on FM from time to time and sometimes I get the urge to pick up some old Pentax or Zeiss manual lenses to experiment with, but I haven't gone to this extreme yet.

Tonight I was doing some macro shots with the 5D outdoors in pretty crappy lighting, all MF, hand-held, and I was surprised at how well I could MF with it. The big VF definitely helps. My 5D came with the grid screen (which I really like) but it doesn't help with MF, just composition.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

Mark - I don't think Photoshop can do it the same way the lens does it. It's a pretty unique (yet familar) effect when done in lens. But like I said in my FM review, I never use it (though you don't have to use it a full "strength" - you can set it between 0-1 and between 1-2.)

Good reviews here...
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...7&cat=2&page=1
    Hmm, a name there looks familiar....
    I've always liked this lens - esp. for the price. More full size samples here: http://imageevent.com/24peter/stephanieb - pics 1, 3-8 taken with 135 SF
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

I paid $100 for a Spotmatic with fresh shutter & light seals that included a 50mm f/1.4 Super-Takumar. That's the only Pentax branded screwmount lens I have, but a 135mm f/2.8 by Meyer-Optik/Pentacon "bokeh monster" is on my 1D II right now. Sadly I never seem to get around to using it in serious situations to provide true quality samples...ie interesting subject matter. I'm taking it with me to Mexico though. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use it there.

Here are a couple boring pics from yesterday.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...05-07-0013.jpg
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...05-07-0019.jpg
    Ouch.