Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

WolfProperties Guest

Another "Which SLR" Thread

Hey there guys and gals, I am a sort of newbie photographer. I took some courses in college and really took some nice shots and would like to advance my hobby a bit.

For my main job, I photograph vehicles for eBay, mainly RV's using wide angles to get the feel of the entire living space. A lot of times there is a lack of lighting so I find myself on a tripod with a remote shutter release. My Rebel XT just ist cutting it IMO. I dont like the light body and I get a sort of fuzz when the shutter speed is low. Probably its my skill (or lack thereof) and a combo of the cheezy kit lens. I had a chance to borrow a 40D body with my 18-55mm lens and there was a noticeable difference in the shots. I also like the heavier body because it just feels more solid in my hands. I had a buddy of mine tell me to shy away from Nikon due to a sensor crop or something, but I cant help and notice the D300. The other camera i that range would be the A700 from Sony, but I havent had a chance to see one locally.

I tried to read as many threads as I could, so forgive me if this as been asked before. Are any of these superior to each other in a lower light situation or would that be all lens? Thats my next question, the upgraded 18-55mm lens seems like a reasonable choice, but again I havent seen one. Are they still all plastic like the one I have now?

Thanks in advance for the reponses.

All the cameras you mentioned have a crop so I'm not sure that should cause you to avoid Nikon. A cameras high ISO performance can help you in low light but it shouldn't matter if you're using a tripod and a low ISO. If you get a large aperture lens for low light then you'll have to deal with a shallow DOF that it also gives you. All budget lenses are mostly made of plastic.

I'm not sure what the fuzz you're talking about on your current XT is but if you stop the kit lens down and use a good tripod you should be fine.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Canon DSLR: 1.6x Crop
    Nikon DSLR: 1.5x Crop (actual APS-C specification)

Wide advantage: Nikon

The exceptions are the full-frame cameras, but for the ones we are considering here they all have a crop factor. Sounds like this buddy doesn't seem like a great source of advice.
    Last edited by Visual Reality; 05-03-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod