Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

can anyone recommend a 'no-frills' 'bare-bones' camera?

hi,
    i'm looking for a camera which is extremely durable, which consumes as less battery power as possible, and which can make captures as quickly as possible without any fuss.I don't need it to take long distance or short distance shots,if i can see it with my eyes,i expect the camera to take the picture just as i see it,without zooming in or out.I see it,click,i grab it,done,no fuss,next snap.
    I have tried other digital cameras,and the battery life has been awful,and i ended up spending unreasonable amounts of money on batteries.the lens having to pop out while zooming,and the lcd monitor,i suspect ,tax the battery too much.the less moving parts in the camera,the better.
    i'm in love with simplicity,so if you could suggest what in your opinion is the simplest and most practical camera available today,that would be very helpful.
    thank you.
    ps - do you know of any digital camera which does not have the zoom function and which also does not have a lcd monitor/display? the closest match i've found is the Sony DSCU60 2.0 Megapixel Digital Camera,but unfortunately,it is no longer available

Any digital camera that uses AA batteries should only be used with NiMH rechargeable ones. Regular alkaline batteries are pretty much useless in any digital camera. You will get 10 times as many shots, probably more then that, if you use rechargeable batteries. If that is your only problem with your current camera this single change will fix that.

can anyone recommend a 'no-frills' 'bare-bones' camera?
    Pentax Spotmatic.
    Ouch.

The Sigma DP1 takes a great picture and doesn't zoom. It's also $800.

The fact is, all digitial cameras work essentially the same way and have essentially the same features. If you don't like messing around with controls, all digital cameras have an auto setting that enables you to simply point and shoot.

As far as batteries go, digital cameras come with two basic capabilities - AA's or proprietary lithiums. The proprietary lithiums have to be recharged like a cell phone, so you have to keep your eye on them and make sure they have enough charge so you won't run out during the day. The AA's can use alkaline batteries but, as has been said, that would be a mistake. Instead, use nonrechargeable Energizer E2 AA lithiums, NiMH rechargeables or rechargeable AA hybrids like the Sanyo Eneloops.
    Bitten by the photo bug
    Panasonic FZ28
    Canon A720IS
    Sanyo Eneloop Rechargeable AA Batteries

A couple of durable cameras:

Pentax Optio W30

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

Get a "skin case" for it and it will be even more durable:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._W30_Skin.html

Olympus 720 SW

It's shockproof...

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Stylus.../dp/B000EA0EDO

Get a "skin case" for it and it will be even more durable:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...kin_Blue_.html
    Last edited by JTL; 05-03-2008 at 09:19 PM.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.

Pay attention to the flash strength/range. The cameras with the more powerful flash can be expected to have a stronger battery setup.

Kelly Cook

i haven't identified my ideal camera yet,but i did pick up a few pointers from here
    so thanks for replying,everyone

Simple & cheap....

6 Mpix, waterproof, rubber armor (durable), digital zoom (fixed lens), but it does have 2" LCD, and built in flash.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9604826

Canon A580 seems simple and maybe practical.