Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lightweight Slr Or Equivalent With Image Stabilization And Live View

LOOKING FOR LIGHTWEIGHT SLR OR EQUIVALENT WITH IMAGE STABILIZATION AND LIVE VIEW

Budget

*I'D PREFER TO PAY UNDER $1200 , BUT COULD PAY MORE
    Size

SIZE AND WEIGHT ARE VERY IMPORTANT. I AM LOOKING FOR SMALL LIGHTWEIGHT SLR OR EQUIVALENT CAPACITY CAMERA

Features

megapixels --10 OR MORE PREFERED, MIGHT CONSIDER LESS

* What optical zoom STANDARD IS OK MORE WOULD BE A PLUS

* How important is “image quality” to you? 8 OR 9 NEED SLR SIZE SENSOR AND RAW CAPACITY

Do you care for manual controls? DESIRABLE BUT NOT ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? TAKING LANDSCAPES AND CLOSEUPS WHILE HIKING, BACKPACKING, AND CAMPING, SOME INDOOR FAMILY SHOTS

* Will you be making BIG PRINTS of your photos or not? SOMETIMES

Will you be shooting a lot of INDOOR PHOTOS OR LOW LIGHT PHOTOS YES THIS FEATURE IS VERY IMPORTAMT

SPORTS OR ACTION: NO

Miscellaneous

BRAND PREFERENCE : NONE

Are there particular models you already have in mind? CANON XSI, OLYPUS EVOLT 510

SPECIAL FEATURES DESIRED

MUST HAVE

IMAGE STABLIZATION
    LIVE VIEW

WOULD LIKE A WEATHER RESISTANT CAMERA -BUT HAVEN'T FOUND A COMPACT SLR WITH THAT FEATURE
    I CONSIDERED THE PENTAX K20 AND THE OLYPUS E3 BUT THEY ARE BOTH TOO BIG AND HEAVY FOR ME TO LUG ON HIKES AND BACKPACKS

I WILL PROBABLY BE USING ONLY ONE LENS, SO I DON'T ABSOLUTELY NEED AN SLR IF I COULD GET AS GOOD LOW LIGHT AND IMAGE CAPACITY RAW CAPACITY LIVE VIEW AND IMAGE STABILIZATION
    WITH A NON SLR CAMERA,

HOWEVER IMAGE QUALITY, LOW LIGHT CAPACITY, AND SLR SIZE SENSOR ARE ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL

Olympus DSLR's are the lightest of the light for sure, especially with the kit lenses. I got mine with the intention of using it for hiking. Be sure to both kit lenses, you might find the extra telephoto can be worth the switches at times. Besides, it's just incredible to imagine a telephoto lens can be so small. Live view is not that useful on the E-510, it takes about 2 seconds between shots. It is useful at times, but not regularly.

The XSI would have been the other camera I'd have mentioned. It will take better pictures and have better reactions, at the cost of size, weight, price, and build quality.

Up to you.