Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wedding picture advice

I have a wedding this weekend and would like to know which lens would be better to use my Minolta 35-70, Sony 18-70 or my Quantary 70-200 lens?
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Will it be indoors? (wha-hoo - post # 4000!)
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yes indoors. I tried taking some pictures at a dinner theater my children took me to for my birthday and I couldn't get any good shots. I just used my on camera flash then, but will be getting a flash before the wedding. Finding the right light setting was tough I forget what setting I used. I will check the pictures and post back. Thanks again Don

I set the iso to 400 and the speed 1/125
    Last edited by sparkie1263; 04-28-2008 at 01:55 PM.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

If you get the upper end flash SONY HVL-F56AM ... set to "M" ... this will lock the flash to full (1:1) power and make the lighting consistent.

If you allow the flash mode to go to "TTL" ... you will be playing a game that is often hard to win. The A700 has better control over the flash than the A100 does ... so you can adjust, but to be honest ... I won't play with it. I just set the darn thing to Manual ... and regulate my MANUAL settings on the camera to go with its consistent burst.

Like you said:
    • Shutter-speed fixed at 1/60 or 1/125
    • ISO: 400
    • Aperture : depends on the shot and effect, but usually f/5.6 (unless the lens has f/2.8 or wider, for fuzzing out the background. To counteract the exposure value (EV) change, that requires the ISO to go to 200 or maybe 100, for the compensation. You can also dial down the external flash power to 1:2 or 1:4)

Good luck ... and watch to make sure the camera doesn't toggle the flash back to TTL mode when you turn it on or off, or change the camera's operating mode (Auto, P, S, A, M).

On other thing about these external flashes ... they provide little warning when they are about to give it up. The last three flashes will take quite a while to charge ... then, it is over.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-28-2008 at 02:44 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    Yes indoors. I tried taking some pictures at a dinner theater my children took me to for my birthday and I couldn't get any good shots. I just used my on camera flash then, but will be getting a flash before the wedding. Finding the right light setting was tough I forget what setting I used. I will check the pictures and post back. Thanks again Don

I set the iso to 400 and the speed 1/125
    spend some time reading this.
    http://planetneil.com/tangents/flash...hy-techniques/

i dont recommend shooting in manual mode until you have a little more experience with flash or get in alot of practice before hand. shooting with full flash power will blacken backgrounds and blow out the foreground, especially the brides white dress. you will liekly lose all detail in it which is the most critical part of a wedding shoot.

shooting in TTL or with a higher iso, slower shutter speed and TTL mode will also dramatically improve your flash battery life and recycle times. shooting full power will see you struggle with battery life especially.
    Last edited by Rooz; 04-28-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thanks everybody I will post some of my photos good or bad.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Slingshot 200 Bag

Lightbulb

Okay, scratch everything I said ... I shoot manual as a matter of course, but not everyone likes doing it. I just spent about twenty minutes checking what-ifs. Based on Rooz's ideas concerning the white dress, blown out highlights and all ... I suggest going with the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens for the bulk of your work.

You probably will get the best result from the A100 with the flash, if you use the AUTO mode. Yeah, I know ... but, it's important to get as many "winners" as you can ... and I believe the AUTO coupled with that particular lens will work out.

An important aspect of using AUTO is the "+/-" switch, (Exposure compensation / Aperture)

In all exposure modes except Manual this button acts to change the exposure compensation. The adjustment is to press the "+/-" button then turn the control dial. In manual exposure mode this button is used set the Aperture (or Shutter speed if the function of the control dial has been customized).

Name:  EV control.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  96.3 KB

It is located on the rear, right side, near the top of the camera. If the images are dark ... press it and take the EV up a step, with the thumbwheel. I'm not a big AUTO guy, but this will work ... if you judiciously use that feature.

Anyway, using AUTO ... you have the luxury of moving fast without a lot of thinking about settings. If you need speed because of movement blur, goto "S" Mode, set for 1/160 sec and let the camera do the rest.

I've tried it out with mine, tonight ... I had a blushing bride stop by (okay, maybe not ... - but, she wanted to) it does seem to work, though ... based on that lens.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-28-2008 at 07:49 PM.

flickr & Sdi

always, always, always meter for the bride. no one cares about anything else at a wedding. blow the blacks on the guys suit and no one will care, but you make a brides dress look like some big white sheet of paper with no detail...well, don't expect any accolades.

i've never shot a wedding officialy but every commision i've ever done when there is a chick involved, THEY are the ones that will want to look the best no matter what. they dont care about exposure difficulties or dynamic range, they just want to look good and they want the clothes they're wearing to have as much detail as possible. that includes their shoes, their jewellry, their hair, their flowers etc. so i'm just guessing that these general rules will be even more important for a wedding and a bride. etc etc

theres quite a few wedding photographers here, (canon forum), who can give some specific advice if you ask.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Using the 70-200 will be a bit dicey ... because it is naturally a tight shot. If you are zooming in for "the kiss" or the exchange of rings, really watch the exposure (use "spot metering") ... because the camera can be easily fooled by the surrounding lighting.

Make sure you have your lenses out, safely watched or managed and at the ready for swap. I would recommend a twenty minute test of changing lenses between your 18-70mm and the 70-200mm, just to get a feel for the rhythm. Also, if you can get a feel for how the ceremony is going to play out ... go to the rehearsal, if possible. A photographic "dry run" if you will. You can test your shots out ... look for opportunities for better location, etc.

Just some ideas ... to make it simpler.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-29-2008 at 09:04 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Thanks again but, I am not taking pictures for the bride or groom. I am hoping there will be some NFL players there. My sons best friend (the groom) is on the Detroit Lions. I don't know who he invited just want to be ready just in case. I might even take a few of the them too. LOL He is always at my house that is why my whole family is invited.
    Here is a shot I took with my old camera at his college game.(Harris)
    Last edited by sparkie1263; 04-29-2008 at 04:45 PM.
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM