Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $64 question

$64 question

ok. ima startin to see how this works. the photographer is the artist, the camera and lense r his instruments. just like with guitars....an expert can do wonders with cheapy instruments. but the "good"gear sho is nice!!
    im already seeing i may have some creative ideas. i've already hit on a few pics that please me. i have a d40x w/18-55, 55-200 and 70-300. all with vr.
    i am also starting to see the the real WOW! pics r taken with much better glass than i have. BUT!! some "WOW" pics r taken with the very lenses i have. so i guess it goes back to the artist.
    anyways...i'm thinkin about buyin mo betta glass. why waste money on the less than optimum when u'll prolly eventually end up with the high end glass.
    which brings me to my camera.
    d40 and 40x r fine cams and i have no reason to want to get rid of my 40x. but the d80 and d200-300 defintely have a few more bells and whistels that can make playing the instrument a bit more convenient.
    guess the opinion i'm lookin for would be...do i just stay with the 40x and aquire better glass? if so then i have to make sure they have internal focus motors. vr is nice too. but the higher cams can use a larger variety of lenses because they have built in focus motors.
    im defintely keepin the 40x as a second. and i'm definitely getiing a higher end cam. just cant do all at once.
    would love to find a good used d200.........
    whaddya think guys?
    nikon d40x
    18-55 f3.5-5.6 vr
    55-200 f4-5.6 vr
    70-300 f4.5-5.6 vr
    50 mm f1.8 nikkor
    startin to get a collection of filters and hoods!!
    sb-600

Spend your money on good lenses now, then in a few years when bodies have really made huge improvements, get one. Or get the d300 then, it will be super cheap!
    (of course I'm not one to talk here ... cheapie glass is all I have ...)
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

God advice but. Thats what I'm doing on my way to the D3.
    Kev.

D200~
    24-70mm f2.8 , 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 VR.more

Quote Originally Posted by bass7858 View Post
    do i just stay with the 40x and aquire better glass? if so then i have to make sure they have internal focus motors. vr is nice too. but the higher cams can use a larger variety of lenses because they have built in focus motors. whaddya think guys?
    a few questions...
    what sort of shots do you want to take ? post some examples or links.
    what does the d40x not do that you want it to do ?
    what lens' do you want that won;t AF on the d40x ?

the reason i ask...the camera body will have a negligible effect on the IQ, if at all. the metering on the d40/x series is highly reliable and evenly balanced. so no, i dont think a newer body will make squat of difference unless there is something specifically in a new body that you need like faster fps etc

apart from the photographer, glass is absolutely and most positively the biggest influence on the image, closely followed by flash, (or just lighting in general), and body runs pretty much dead last.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Personally I would spend time learning to use what I have until I know for sure that some piece of the equipment is letting the side down.
    Just buying new glass is not going to improve your composition or lighting.
    Just buying a new body is not going to substantially improve your metering or creative ability.
    You talk about the photographer as an artist. IMO an artist knows what is required to produce their art and when you reach that point you to will know what you need.

There's a catch 22 going on here. If your shooting requirements have not exceed the D40x which has excellent dynamic range then the new body? In the same token if your new glass is not going to serve a specific purpose it's just more glass to look at.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

you can buy new glass or a new body for $64??!??!? links please!
    www.BrandonTurnau.com
    [B]D90/18-70mm/Sigma 10-20mm/50mm f1.8[/80-200mm 2.8/B]

thank you all,
    tuner-hypothetical phrase....but if i do find some $64 lenses and bodies...i'm keepin it to myself and sellin them online for $128
    all others- your advice just confirmed what my conscience was telling me and appreciate your temperance and patience. sage advice.
    special thanks to k1w1 and xailo who have been very kind in their responses to my novice questions.
    and to mr.rooz- i admire your photographs and your no nonsense approach to the art. u always give great advice, never seem to be snipped by us newbies, and seem to always be willing to investigate our questions.
    also like the way u give your opinions on lenses and other equipment.
    fair and unbiased.
    lookin for the day i get a "well done" from u guys
    nikon d40x
    18-55 f3.5-5.6 vr
    55-200 f4-5.6 vr
    70-300 f4.5-5.6 vr
    50 mm f1.8 nikkor
    startin to get a collection of filters and hoods!!
    sb-600

Mate got any good ol blues to share. That'll get a well done Seriously if it was mine for a portrait I'd be framing the bass playing hat wearing silhouette of yours truly.
    Kev.

D200~
    24-70mm f2.8 , 50mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 VR.more

Buy glass and make sure its no DX lenses. More than likely Nikon will be putting out a D300 full-frame like Canon did with the 5D. And DX lenses crop to only 5-6mp on FX for Nikon. I know it sucks but it'll do you good in the long run. And try to get AF-S or wait a bit because AF-S is all Nikon will have to make if they want to make any money with users that own the their lower end models that only support those types of lenses.

And if you do go full-frame in the future don't look to the D3 because Nikon will definitely be putting out a higher megapixel and better D3, maybe a D3x and then probably a D3xs like they did with the D2's.

Glass is the way to go for now for sure.
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D (70-200mm f/2.8 VR soon)
    Nikon SB600 (SB800 soon)
    Nikon MB-D10 grip
    Sekonic L-358
    Bogan/Manfrotto 055xprob tripod

Canon AE-1 Program
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.8
    CPC 2x Teleconverter
    CPC Phase 2 CCT 80-200 f/4.5
    CPC Phase 2 CCT 28mm Macro f/2.8