Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Dropped my SLR! HELP!!!

I dropped my SLR a while ago. It fell off a counter that is about 3ft off the ground. It fell onto a carpet that is very padded and the camera was in a case. It had it's lense on it and now it makes a clicky/scratchy noise on the right side of the camera. Does anyone know what is wrong with it? If I have to take it to a repair shop does anyone know of any in the Lansing, Michigan area? Thanks!!

Specifically, what kind of SLR camera is it? D50, D70, D40, D80?

The durability of these kinds of cameras to "droppage" is always in question. You might just want to call Nikon and see what they have available to you for service. You can usually find this information in the rear of the camera's owner's manual.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

My camera is a D40

sorry to hear about that, hard to disagnose that online cos it really could be anything. do you have more than 1 lens you could try to see if its consistent regardless of the lens ? does it make the noise without a lens mounted ? does it still take photos ? does it still charge ? have you checked the battery compartment and memory card slot ?

sounds like you are REALLY unlucky. these things can generally take a pretty good beating.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I don't have any other lenses. I think my mom is getting another lense for it. I took off the lense and it doesn't make a single sound. It doesn't take photo's at all. I listened really close and I think the sound is coming from the lense. does that mean its the lense not the camera? I checked the battery and memory slots and they are fine.

I had to send my 18-55 lens in for warranty repair after a similar fall. Had it our documenting a patio I was building. Fell lens first into the ground when knocked off a workbench. Thank goodness for a filter. Wouldn't turn or take picture. Also plastic ring broke loose and rattled inside and could see trying to fall out the back. My 55-200 worked fine so I knew was not the camera.

It illustrated to me how fragile that plastic is. Know what I will be paying attention to with my next lens.

Quote Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
    Thank goodness for a filter. Wouldn't turn or take picture. Also plastic ring broke loose and rattled inside and could see trying to fall out the back.
    It illustrated to me how fragile that plastic is.
    How did the filter stop the lens being broken?

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    How did the filter stop the lens being broken?
    The damage was NOT cracked glass. The lens elements were fine. It was the lousy plastic guides that held the glass that broke and/or misaligned as the glass was sitting at an angle preventing the lens from turning. Also, if you look in the back of the lens, that plastic ring holding that rear element was totally broken and rattling about.

As far as the filter, I had to remove some caked dirt from the exterior as the ground was relatively soft. Prefer removing from the filter than the first lens element.

If the drop didn't crack the filter it would not have cracked the lens either.
    Either way the lens was damaged filter or no filter so IMO having the filter fitted most likely had no affect positive or negative on the outcome.

you must be bored Kiwi, i gave up on the filter/protection i get less flaring now (and i spent 60-70 on the filter) so it wasnt a cheapy!

i tend to put the lens cap back on just before i take the camera out of my hands, that seems to work better for me
    Nikon D7000 - Nikkor AF-S 70-200vrII f2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 105vr f2.8 Micro | Nikkor AF-S 16-85 | Nikkor AF-D 35mm f2 |Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro | SB-700 | SB-600

Website