Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dust inside lens okay?

I recently purchased a Canon 17-55 IS 2.8 lens. I notice there are some dust specks inside the front glass of the lens. Looking even closer I see some dust on the glass inside the front lens also. I expected the lenses from Canon to be completely dust proof within the lens itself. Should I be concerned? I am new to SLR's and I have heard dust can be the death of good photos. I am not noticing it on my laptop when reviewing photos but I also have not printed anything yet. Please let me know. Thanks!

Return it for a different one.

I just had the same problem with a Nikon 18-200 VR. Being assembled in a clean environment means there should be nothing inside that lens but glass and air.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

A few particles of dust inside the lens will never be seen in a photo... they will be so 'out of focus' that they won't show up. Dust on the camera's sensor is another story.

However... on a brand new $1K lens... I would expect better. Take it back for exchange, IMO.
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

I have this lens and it is noted for being a dust sucker. Mine is no exception. It is pretty bad at this point but the IQ has not changed from day 1 when it was perfectly clean to today when it is perfectly dirty. You could exchange it but the condition will likely repeat itself. Exchanging it for the exact same unit will not change something inherent in the lens design. The amount of dust that gets in varies more with environmental conditions vs. use than anything else. As long as it doesn't effect the IQ I say the dust is much ado about nothing.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

Thanks for the replies! Do you know if something like this is warrantable with Canon? I would at least like to start off with zero dust if possible even if it means accummulating over time.

Angry Dusty con-trails .... straight to repair!

Man, this has to be like the fifteenth posting I've seen for this lens.

Cripes, for $1000 you'd think QC or QA would be in place for this type of nonsense. Is this a progressive problem? Where as you use it, the dust increases?

Both of my TAMRON 17-50mm f/2.8 never had issues like that. I know I would be returning that kind of problem in extremely short order ... like RIGHT NOW!

Where did you obtain this miracle of quality fabrication?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-29-2008 at 01:58 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i don't know but i also got dust inside my 24-70, which is a weathersealed lens..i sent it back for cleaning, it came ok, now again specks inside...
    will i be charged to have it cleaned again, like they clean the sensor only once for free?
    anyone, any ideas?

thanks!

dorin
    5D II | 40D | 24-70 | 85 1.2 II | 70-200 2.8 IS | 5800EX II x2 | 430EX II
    www.thousandwords.ch

This problem is widespread... Shame on canon.. My 18-55 kit lens has one dust particle in it.. but it's only worth $180 bucks... if I got a lens for $1,000 and had dust in it, I'd be furious... I will never buy the lens you got only because of the widespread horrible dust issues... They actually pull dust in, even if they come to you clean... terrible for $1,000..

I hope the 16-35mm L II lens is not like that..

If it bothers you and its still under warranty send it to Canon for cleaning. If its out of warranty, you can clean it yourself....(Its a piece of cake - I cleaned mine recently)....

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/drp
    Last edited by michaelb; 04-29-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

Good lord ... a home-fixer-upper lens!

I guess Carl Zeiss has one of these, too. Makes you wonder ... how they got these past testing? This would have been one thing I would have tested for, in the design stage, for sure: Under the heading of Environmental Contamination. Forget the dust ... how about high humidity, like in Florida and Brazil? If dust is getting in at this kind of noticeable rate ... there goes the neighborhood.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi