Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Disposable DLSR bodies?

You know, the one thing that seems to be approaching rapidly is the advent of the "disposable" camera body. Along with all the other things you can buy ... the sub-$300 DSLR camera body seems to be "marked" as truly disposable.

What this means is:

1) You can have your high-end camera and lenses ...
    2) You can carry a sub-$300 camera body for backup, dangerous/hazardous to equipment environments, or to pitch off to another user (family member or whatnot) ...
    3) Total interchangeability with all your lenses.

In other words ... yeah, a cheap, entry-level camera ... that people will try to justify as "just as good as anything else." You know the kind, where people post the shot and say, "See, not too bad, eh?" The fact is ... this would be a vacation camera ... one that you could lose with your luggage and not have a heart-attack about (as long as you kept the Memory card on you ). You'd have access to your select low-end lenses ... or you could actually buy a set of the popular and disposable (anxiously so) kit lenses to use (18-55 & 55-200) ... again, not bedeviled by the airlines losing your gear. Figure the whole rig for less than $500 ... effectively throw-away ... as your $2000 real rig sits safely in the comfort of your home.

It's just a thought ... as your luggage goes on tour to destinations unknown ...

Name:  islands.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  29.2 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-28-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Also known as shooting film.
    I have a camera. It takes pictures.

Red face Digital - instead of film?

Hey, now there's a thought ... converting your old SLR ... to a DSLR.

Wait a minute, Minolta did that already with the Maxxum 9000, back in the real early days of digital (circa 1987) ... before infancy, even.

Name:  SB-90S.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  9.4 KB

Might be a bit of a 'sticky wicket" with the rights to that one. Perhaps we need to muddle this over, a bit. Still, there are lots and lots of old SLRs out there, that's for sure. Just need them to cut memory, too ... with some kind of digital back idea.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-28-2008 at 12:21 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Where are you seeing legitimate sellers of sub-$300 digital SLRs? If you're counting used ones (even finding one of those for under $300 is still difficult), you've already discredited your statements, because the very purpose of buying them second hand is to give them a 2nd life, ie they are not being disposed of but rather "recycled" in a sense.

I've never heard of anyone throwing a working dSLR in the trash.
    Ouch.

Definitely a possibly plausible scenario given today's quality and prices.

But remember...one person's "disposable" rig is another person's primary rig. Not everyone is in a financial situation to consider any rig disposable.

So, while the concept of a disposable rig is a good one, I wouldn't be going around telling (and possibly insulting) folks that can only afford a Canon Xtx, Nikon Dxx, Sony 2 or 3 series, Olympus x10 or x20, or Pentax Kxx (and their subsequent progenies), with the kit lenses, that they're using a disposable camera...

$400.00 is still a lot of money to most people.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

JTL ... I couldn't have said it better ... thank you, as you did. Readin' my noggin'!

GMTA!

Have a great day!

flickr & Sdi

Would disposable dSLRs have a large enough market? I don't think the current disposable cameras deliver massive profits to their makers.

My "disposable" is a Lumix FZ8. I use it set to RAW and Program, everyone gets simple mode. It's paid for and insured. Nobody touches the Olympus kit but me.

I love your imagination Don

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I would not consider a $10 compact as "disposable".

I can see that digital SLRs will continue to fall in price. Remember the 300D? That came out at I believe a shade under $1000. Now we're routinely seeing digital SLRs for sale for a little over $400.

The cheapest on B&H is a used Olympus E300 8mp dSLR for $249.
    The cheapest new dSLR on B&H is the Olympus E410 for $400