Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How large can I make a 6 megapixel photo?

I want to take a picture with a Canon S3, and blow it up to 20x30. Is that possible? The photo will be in excellent light, will be at the full 6 megapixel resolution, and the quality will be at the minimum compression. I only want to blow up this one picture, so there's no way I'm getting a DSLR just to take this picture, lol.

What program(s) should I use to make sure the picture looks good once blown up? How exactly do I do it? And is there somewhere that I can take the picture (possibly an online place?), and have them print out the picture, and frame it? I've never done this before, as you can see.

You can do a 20x30 easily providing the image itself is high quality (use as low ISO as possible on your S3) and there are no technical flaws like camera shake or misfocus.

Keep in mind that a large print is enjoyed and appreciated from several feet away, so it may not look all that hot when you press your nose to it. Don't expect it to be pixel-sharp like your screen shows it to be.

Also be sure to use a good printing company that knows how to deal with large prints.

I use Elcocolor.com for my largest prints. They're good and have an internet only pricing special if you order 2 at the same time...it's almost buy one get one free compared to a lot of other labs and their own regular pricing (but you have to order two). It's called Poster Special but they are indeed high quality prints. They have an FAQ that answers your other questions. I don't know if they do framing or not.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 04-24-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Ouch.

I use American Frame for both large prints and framing. They will print and frame to custom sizes for less than half what my local galleries charge just to frame. The prints and frames look incredible, too.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

This might be a good case for getting the CHDK hack and shooting in RAW.

The quality of your pictures is determined by the resolution of your digital file. As a rule, we recommend choosing the highest quality setting on your digital camera when you intend to print pictures. To achieve "film-like" image quality, 300 dpi (dots per inch) is the desirable resolution. Use the following table as a guide for print size/resolution comparison.

Name:  Size Chart.jpg
Views: 11587
Size:  115.9 KB
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Eh. It's not always sane to go strictly by numbers. El-Co insists that 254 PPI is the max you should uprez for their printing service. They actually recommend not upsizing at all and letting their RIT do it.

If you go strictly by that chart, the 20x30s I've had printed with my XT would have looked unsaleable.
    Ouch.

I've printed 20x30s from my 6mp D50 that look great. My favorite size is 14x20. Put a couple mats and a 3 1/2" frame on that, and boy does it look pretty!
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Eh. It's not always sane to go strictly by numbers. El-Co insists that 254 PPI is the max you should uprez for their printing service. They actually recommend not upsizing at all and letting their RIT do it.

If you go strictly by that chart, the 20x30s I've had printed with my XT would have looked unsaleable.
    Not even. It says it's a guide, not a strict rule. It also says "Good, Better, Best", and not "Useless, Unsellable, Good".
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    You can do a 20x30 easily providing the image itself is high quality (use as low ISO as possible on your S3) and there are no technical flaws like camera shake or misfocus.

Keep in mind that a large print is enjoyed and appreciated from several feet away, so it may not look all that hot when you press your nose to it. Don't expect it to be pixel-sharp like your screen shows it to be.

Also be sure to use a good printing company that knows how to deal with large prints.

I use Elcocolor.com for my largest prints. They're good and have an internet only pricing special if you order 2 at the same time...it's almost buy one get one free compared to a lot of other labs and their own regular pricing (but you have to order two). It's called Poster Special but they are indeed high quality prints. They have an FAQ that answers your other questions. I don't know if they do framing or not.
    El-Co is cheap compared to Adorama. I will try them out. I have two shots I want big prints of. Thanks for the info

And I just noticed they're located right here in New Jersey
    Last edited by FLiPMaRC; 04-25-2008 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks to everyone! The photo is nothing more than a family photo of a dog that I'm enlarging, so I don't have to sell it.