Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Are all SD cards created equal?

I've just ordered a new camera that takes SD cards, and I need to buy some memory for it. I have found a UK site that sells Sandisk standard 2GB for 6-99, "Ultra II 60x" for 11-50 and "Extreme III 133x" for 12-99. All have the same capacity, so I am wondering what difference I would notice in use - is it that the more expensive ones write to and access memory more quickly? Would others recommend the more expensive versions or am I going to be just fine with the standard ones?

(And equally, I notice that there are quite significant differences in price between e.g. Sandisk, Kingston and Lexar - which makes do people recommend?)

Some cameras can write to the memory card faster than others, so if used with a fast enough card can support faster burst rates or shorter shot to shot times. Check you camera manual to see the fastest write speed that it will support, and get a card that will support at least that speed. In addition, most card readers will support faster upload speeds with faster cards (though note that the read and write speeds of a card are usually different).

Different manufacturers offer other advantages for their more expensive cards, e.g. longer warranties, or inluded data recovery software.

I've used Sandisk, Kingston, Fuji and Olympus cards over the last 3 years with no problems. I believe Lexar also have a good repution.

For the most part, SD cards are commodities. Except for odd no-name or counterfeit stuff you find on eBay, they will all work the same assuming their specs are the same.

You didn't say what kind of camera you have, but it is very rare that a compact digital camera can take advantage of the 133x-150x speed, although it won't hurt things. It will make downloads quicker if you use a high speed USB card reader, and that may be worth the cost to you.

There is also another card called SDHC that looks identical to SD cards but the onboard file system is different. If your camera supports SDHC (and most do at this point) those cards have a different speed rating system. Those cards are Class 2, 4, or 6, which corresponds closely to regular, 60x, and 150x SD cards. SDHC are higher capacity then SD, they go up to 16G at this point.

-dave-

All it depends on the speed of writing.
    I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history. I started taking photos at an early age (15 years old) of my life with a Lubitel, a Russian twin lenses camera.

k o m b i z z

Thanks for those replies and advice. I think I'll just get a medium spec card and see how I get on with that.