Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Problems with XD card

My wife recently got a new 2GB Kodak XD card for our Fuji camera. She somehow just stuck it in the camera and started using it without having to format it?? Anyway when she got home we went on our PC to view what she had taken. I put the card in our card reader and inserted in our PC just like our other 3 XD cards and when I clicked on the F drive it says the card is NOT formatted?? SO I figured something is not right. I put the card back in the camera and I can view the pictures and video she took ON THE CAMERA only. It wont do anything in the PC. To make a long story short, I've tried to formatting the card in the camera, it seems to work and it allows you to take pictures but then the same thing happens pn our PC.....NOTHING. SO I try to format the card on our PC, it works but then when I put the card back in the camera and turn it on it tells me the card is not initalized and it wont let me take pictures. SO THEN I re-format the card in the camera and the cycle starts ALL OVER AGAIN!! What am I doing wrong? I can however hook up the camera with the card installed in it to our PC and view and download the pictures???? Is this normal? Why do our other 3 XD cards work just fine? They are Fuji brand but that shouldn't matter, right? Thanks

It's the card reader. Never - ever - format a card with a computer. There's (at least) 3 different xD card types and USB 1 and USB 2 card readers. I can't say why Windows is choking on one card but I have had fussy card readers.

Thanks Ken, so you think it's the reader? It works fine with my other 3 cards, what would make it NOT want to read this one? How can you tell the diff between the types of cards/readers? I thought most everything was USB 2 now.

Process of elimination? Past experience? Hard to say for sure. I've had a few readers over the years and always have two or three around, a big can-read-anything reader on my desk and a small card specific reader for my camera bag. I've had cards read in one and not the other, typically the small inexpensive one. Device Manager should indicate if it's USB1 or USB2. It it downloads slowly it's usually USB1.